Ellu Mittai Recipe, today we will see how to prepare an easy and healthy barfi variety prepared from til / sesame seeds, ghee and jaggery. This barfi can be tried for Diwali or Pongal or for regular daily snacks.
Til / Ellu is very healthy, nutritious and rich in calcium and iron. They are power packed seeds and when combined with karupati / jaggery, their nutritional value increase. These barfi are guilt free snacks which can be enjoyed any time. I have given it the shape of round mittai instead of square or rectangular shape. You can store them in a refrigerator for long usage. My intention was to prepare til chikki which will be very thin, crispy and usually made during Lodi. But somehow ended up with this delicious ellu barfi, they are soft and fudgy. So you can either roll them into ladoo or make barfi. The cooking time may differ depending on the type of vessel you use. This is an easy diwali recipe.
Apart from til and jaggery, I have also added nuts powder but it is optional. If you are looking for Diwali Recipes, then do check my post. Some of the recipes tried with sesame seeds, Chimli Urundai, Ellu Puli Saadam, Ellu Podi, Ellu Urundai and Ellu Kozhukattai. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
How to prepare Ellu Barfi Mittai
- 100 ms white sesame seeds / til / ellu
- 150 gms powdered jaggery
- 3 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 2 tbsp nuts powder
- Clean sesame seeds from dirt and stones. Roast the seeds in a pan or kadhai for few minutes. Do not over roast them as they will turn bitter. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Grind them in a mixer to coarse powder. Add nuts powder and mix very well. Heat pan or kadhai on low medium flame. Add 1 tbsp ghee, jaggery and ¼ cup water. Let the jaggery completely dissolve. Stir well the syrup. Once you get frothy and sticky syrup, add sesame seeds powder. Stir well everything.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee at a time and cook till the mixture becomes thick. Remove from the heat. Once it comes to lukewarm temperature, grease your palm with ghee and start making barfi or ladoo. To give round shape, take little mixture and make small lemon sized ball. Press it lightly to make a thick disc. Continue with the remaining and store them in an airtight container.