Idli Rice Murukku, learn how to prepare crispy, easy and delicious murukku / chakli prepared from idli rice and urad dal with step by step pictures.
Diwali is nearing and already the preparations have started in my kitchen. Too many recipe testing going on for this year. I hope to share all those recipes before Diwali. Today we will see how to prepare idli rice murukku.
I have not used raw rice flour in this recipe. Usually, we mix rice flour with other main ingredient (besan, rava or millet flour) to prepare murukku. Idli rice is washed, dried to remove moisture and ground to fine flour. Idli rice flour is mixed with other ingredients and knead to smooth dough. The dough is then used to prepare murukku using murukku press.
Urad dal can be replaced by a mixture of dal like toor dal, channa dal and moong dal. We like to add pottukadalai in murukku because it gives crispiness. Similarly, you can adjust the quantity of rice flour and mix millet flour to make it more healthy.
This is a vegan friendly and gluten free recipe. I have shared deep fried version. For baked version, please check my Baked Ragi Murukku recipe. The below mentioned quantity yields 18-20 murukku which can easily serve 6-7 persons. If you want to increase the quantity, then adjust the measurements accordingly.
Some of the murukku recipes shared in my blog, Crispy Butter Murukku, Bajra Kaju Murukku, Mixed Dal Murukku, Potato Kambu Murukku and Samai Siru Paruppu Murukku. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Idli Rice Murukku Recipe Card
- 1 cup idli rice
- ¼ cup urad dal / ultham paruppu / split black gram
- 2 tsp pottukadalai / roasted chutney gram
- salt to taste
- red chili powder - according to your need
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- oil for deep frying
- 2 tbsp warm oil for kneading
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Crispy Rice Murukku
- Take idli rice and wash it well. Spread rice over a clean cloth or plate and let it dry for a while till all the moisture is completely absorbed. Meanwhile, dry roast urad dal for few seconds and remove from the heat.
- Grind urad dal and pottukadalai in a mixer to smooth powder. Transfer to a bowl. Now, grind rice in a mixer to fine powder just like raw rice flour consistency. Transfer to the same bowl. Add salt, chili powder and asofoetida.
- Add warm oil and mix everything together. Now, add enough water and knead to smooth dough. Close it and keep aside. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan or kadai on low flame. Take murukku press and fill it with portion of dough. Press it on a newspaper in circular motion to either make thenkuzhal shape or mullu murukku shape. Prepare it till oil gets hot.
- To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and deep fry murukku in batches. Fry till it turns golden brown and oil sizzling sound stops. Remove carefully from oil and drain the excess oil using an absorbent tissue paper. Store in an airtight container and serve.