Bajra Halwa, today we will see how to prepare healthy millet halwa variety prepared from bajra / kambu, jaggery and ghee. I have shared more than 25 varieties of halwa which you can also refer.
Bajra / Kambu / Pearl Millet is a nutritious millet grain which must be included in our diet on regular basis. They can be used to prepare roti, idli, idiyappam, puttu, dosa, sweets (halwa, ladoo, barfi, etc.), snacks and also porridge. There are ‘n’ number of varieties which you can try with this super millet grain. I buy it in the form of whole grains or flour. It is easy to prepare bajra flour at home. Dry roast the grains and grind it in a mixer if using small quantity. For large quantity, it is better to grind in a mill.
Bajra is roasted with ghee and cooked with jaggery & water to perfection. This halwa is easy to prepare and requires only 15-20 minutes. The same way you can try with other millets like ragi or thinai or samai. Instead of water, you can try adding milk. For sweetness, jaggery can be replaced with sugar or condensed milk. Some of the other sweet varieties tried with bajra, Bajra & Nuts Ladoo, Bajra Kaju Murukku, Kambu Cake, Sweet Corn Bajra Ladoo and Bajra Coconut Burfi. For Diwali Sweets, Diwali Snacks and No Ghee Sweets, do check my compiled post. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Bajra Gur Halwa Recipe
- ¾ cup bajra flour / kambu maavu / pearl millet flour
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- ½ cup powdered jaggery / karupati
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped fry fruits
- 4 tbsp ghee or more if needed
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Kambu Halwa at home
- Dry roast bajra flour with 1 tbsp ghee in a pan or kadai. Roast for 5 minutes on low medium flame. Make sure to not over roast them. Transfer to a bowl. In the same pan, cook jaggery and water. Once jaggery is completely dissolved, let it boil for few seconds.
- Now, add roasted bajra flour, cardamom powder and stir frequently to avoid lumps (katti). Add 1 tbsp ghee at a time and cook till halwa starts leaving the sides of the pan. The overall cooking time may vary from 15 to 20 minutes. Add chopped dry fruits and mix well. Serve hot or at room temperature.