Spicy Coconut Milk Murukku / Thengai Paal Murukku, today I’m sharing another chakli / murukku variety prepared from rice flour, urad dal, moong dal and coconut milk. This is a spicy version of coconut milk murukku. You can also make it without chilies.
To prepare Rice Flour at home, wash raw rice and drain the water completely. Spread rice on a newspaper or cloth and allow it to completely dry. Grind rice in a mixer to a fine powder and sieve the flour on a newspaper. Grind it again till you get fine rava like flour (It should not be very smooth and not too coarse). If you want to prepare rice flour in large quantity, then give the raw rice to a mill for grinding and then dry roast the flour and store in an air-tight container. Similarly, you can roast and grind urad dal / moong dal for murukku and keep it ready.
Heat coconut milk for a while before kneading. for spice, use either green chilies or red chili powder. Always use cold pressed groundnut oil or a combination of gingelly and ground nut oil to deep fry murukku as they give nice flavor and also healthy compared to refined oils. I have added both urad dal and moong dal. You can skip moong dal and adjust the quantity of other ingredients.
The recipe is same as Chettinadu style Seepu Murukku. I have used the same dough to prepare both the style of murukku. For thenkuzhal murukku, 3 holes murukku plate is used. If you prepare this murukku without chilies, then you will get light color murukku. With the below mentioned quantity, you will get approximately 500 gms Murukku. I have shared 20 varieties of murukku including this one. I will make a separate post for murukku varieties so that it will be easy to browse.
Some of the other murukku varieties shared in my blog, Idli Rice Murukku, Besan Rajma Murukku and Ragi Cholam Murukku. Also do not forget to check my list of 30 plus diwali special savory recipes. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Kara Thengai Paal Murukku Recipe
- 2 cup rice flour - homemade or store bought
- ½ cup split green gram / moong dal / pasi paruppu
- ½ cup urad dal / ultham paruppu / split black gram
- 2 cup coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 3 green chilies - chopped
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 1 tbsp warm ghee or butter
- 2 tbsp warm oil for kneading + enough oil for deep frying
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to prepare Coconut Milk Murukku
- Roast urad dal and moong dal together in a pan or kadhai for few minutes till they turn light brownish color. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind them in a mixer to smooth powder. Keep aside. Prepare coconut milk. While grinding coconut to extract milk, add those chopped green chilies so while extracting chili juice will also come out and mix with coconut milk. Keep them aside.
- Mix rice flour, urad-moong dal powder, asofeotida and salt together in a mixing bowl. Heat coconut milk for few minutes till small bubbles appear. We do not want to boil coconut milk. Use this warm coconut milk to knead flour mixture. (I have used 1 and 1/2 cup coconut milk to knead dough.) Add 1 tbsp warm ghee and 2 tbsp warm oil to the dough and knead again till smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan or kadai on low flame. Take murukku press and fill it with portion of dough. Press it on a newspaper or plastic sheet in circular motion to either make thenkuzhal shape or mullu murruku shape. Prepare it till oil gets hot.
- To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and deep fry murukku in batches. Fry till it turns golden brown and oil sizzling sound stops. Remove carefully from oil and drain the excess oil using an absorbent tissue paper. Store in an airtight container and serve.