Seepu Seedai Murukku, a chettinadu special murukku variety prepared from rice flour, moong dal, urad dal and coconut milk. This can be prepared for gokulashtami (janmashtami) or diwali. I have referred Saiva Samayal Ulagam cookbook for the recipe.
This is an easy murukku recipe which requires some effort to prepare those swirls. These swirls were usually prepared by a clean seepu / comb or seepu board. But now, murukku press comes with a plate with a long strip center through which we prepare ribbon murukku / ribbon pakoda. For an easy option, go with the murukku press plate.
To prepare Rice Flour at home, wash raw rice and drain the water completely. Spread rice on a newspaper or cloth and allow it to completely dry. Grind rice in a mixer to a fine powder and sieve the flour on a newspaper. Grind it again till you get fine rava like flour (It should not be very smooth and not too coarse). If you want to prepare rice flour in large quantity, then give the raw rice to a mill for grinding and then dry roast the flour and store in an air-tight container.
For Seepu Murukku, I have shared two methods with seepu board and murukku press plate. Seepu Seedai Murukku requires usual ingredients but everything is bound together with coconut milk instead of water. The same dough can be used to prepare chettinadu thenkuzhal murukku. The below mentioned quantity yields approx half kg murukku. To reduce the quantity, adjust the measurements accordingly. Since this murukku takes time to prepare those swirls, few helping hands would be better.
Urad dal and Moong dal are roasted together and ground to fine powder. You can prepare this in advance just like rice flour to save time. For normal murukku variety, we grind both raw rice and urad dal together and use it whenever needed.
Some of the other murukku varieties shared in my blog, Idli Rice Murukku, Besan Rajma Murukku and Ragi Cholam Murukku. Also do not forget to check my list of 30 plus diwali special savory recipes. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Seepu Seedai Murukku Recipe
- 2 cup rice flour - homemade or store bought
- ½ cup split green gram / moong dal / pasi paruppu
- ½ cup urad dal / ultham paruppu / split black gram
- 2 cup coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 3 green chilies - chopped
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 1 tbsp warm ghee or butter
- 2 tbsp warm oil for kneading + enough oil for deep frying
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Chettinad Special Seepu Murukku
- Roast urad dal and moong dal together in a pan or kadhai for few minutes till they turn light brownish color. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Grind them in a mixer to smooth powder. Keep aside. Prepare coconut milk. While grinding coconut to extract milk, add those chopped green chilies so while extracting chili juice will also come out and mix with coconut milk. Keep them aside.
- Mix rice flour, urad-moong dal powder, asofeotida and salt together in a mixing bowl. Heat coconut milk for few minutes till small bubbles appear. We do not want to boil coconut milk. Use this warm coconut milk to knead flour mixture. (I have used 1 and 1/2 cup coconut milk to knead dough.) Add 1 tbsp warm ghee and 2 tbsp warm oil to the dough and knead again till smooth.
- I will share both the methods to prepare seepu murukku. Lets see the murukku press method. Use long strip center plate with comb structure and put it inside murukku press cylinder. Grease inner side with oil. Fill it with dough. (Every time you use the dough, cover the remaining dough with wet cloth otherwise it will dry soon.)
- Press murukku mould above a newspaper or plastic sheet. Press it in the straight lines. Cut those big lines to small strips(using knife) enough to cover your finger top. Take a strip and cover your finger, bring the edges together and seal them properly. Similarly, proceed with the remaining strips.
Tips on how to use a seepu murukku board,
- Take plain long strip plate and put it inside murukku mould. Fill it with dough and press the mould above a newspaper or plastic sheet in the straight line. Take a line and place over seepu board. Press the line gently to get those seepu marks. The same method can be applied for using a comb / seepu. Cut those lines into equal length strip. Take a strip and cover your finger, bring the edges together and seal them properly. Similarly, proceed with the remaining strips.
- To deep fry murukku, heat a heavy bottomed kadai with enough oil. To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and deep fry murukku in batches till turns golden brown. Remove carefully from oil and drain the excess oil if any using an absorbent tissue paper. Store in an airtight container and serve.