Sweet Potato Puran Poli Recipe / Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Poli, Indian style sweet flat bread variety stuffed with the mixture of sweet potato, coconut and jaggery. Puran poli is a traditional sweet bread prepared during festival or special occasions. We prepare this during diwali or pongal.
Poli / Obbattu covering is prepared from maida / all purpose flour. To make it healthy, I use wheat flour or mutigrain flour. You can also try mixing millet flour like ragi or bajra but everyone does not like the taste of millet 🙂
Sweet potato are considered to be healthy when compared to regular potato and make a great replacement in cutlet or tikki recipes. They are rich in dietary fiber and good source of vitamin A,B and C and also rich in minerals. For snacking, you can boil sweet potatoes and serve as it is. They are very filling and also controls your sweet cravings.
Sweet Potato Poli is not vegan friendly as I have used ghee. Ghee can be replaced by light flavored cooking oil like olive oil or sunflower oil. Sweet Potato Poli is very easy to prepare, just like we make stuffed paratha.
When you cook mashed sweet potato, the mixture will be sticky. So do not worry if the mixture is sticky, it will come to normal stage when kept to rest for a while. I have shared the step by step photos. Do try this recipe and enjoy with your family. I have used 3 small karupati pieces. They are less sweet, so adjust the quantity according to your need.
Some of the sweet potato / sakkaravalli kizhangu recipes shared in my blog, Bitter Gourd & Sweet Potato Paratha, Shakarkand Halwa, Sweet Potato Fry, Zucchini, Paneer & Sweet Potato Cutlet, Sweet Potato Chips and Sundakkai Cutlet. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Sweet Potato Puran Poli Recipe
- 1 cup wheat flour
- salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- water to knead
- 150 gms boiled and mashed sweet potato
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp dry coconut
- 3-4 small jaggery cubes
- 1 tbsp water
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Poli
- Sieve wheat flour and salt. Transfer the flour to a mixing bowl and knead to a very soft dough adding enough water. Add ghee and knead again. Close it and keep aside for 1 hour. In the meanwhile, to prepare sweet stuffing, heat a pan or kadai. Add crushed jaggery and 1 tbsp water. Once jaggery is completely dissolved, add mashed sweet potato and cardamom powder.
- Stir well everything on low flame for 5-8 mins till all the moisture is absorbed. Add dry coconut powder and stir well. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Take the dough and divide into equal sized balls.
- Now, take a ball and flatten it in the shape of a disc. Fill it with spoonful of sweet potato mixture and close all the sides. Dust it with wheat flour and roll it to form the shape of a round paratha. It should not be too thick or too thin. Similarly proceed with other balls. Heat a tava and apply ghee/oil all over the sides of poli and cook till brown spots appear on both the sides. Similarly proceed with the remaining.
- Store poli in an airtight container. If you are serving it on the same day, then keep poli at the room temperature. But, if you are going to serve it on the next day, then keep it in refrigerator and at the time of serving, bring poli to room temperature. Or you can reheat poli in microwave.