Wheat Rava Chakli / Godhumai Rava Murukku, today we will see another murukku variety made from rice flour and wheat rava. We have not used any dal / lentils to prepare this murukku / chakli. So far I have shared more than 15 varieties of murukku. This Diwali its all about murukku varieties 🙂 I have referred my Bajra Potato Murukku and made few adjustments.
To prepare Rice Flour at home, wash raw rice and drain the water completely. Spread rice on a newspaper or cloth and allow it to completely dry. Grind rice in a mixer to a fine powder and sieve the flour on a newspaper. Grind it again till you get fine rava like flour (It should not be very smooth and not too coarse). If you want to prepare rice flour in large quantity, then give the raw rice to a mill for grinding and then dry roast the flour and store in an air-tight container.
For this recipe, you can either use white rava or wheat rava. No changes in the measurement or cooking method. To prepare rava murukku, first grind rava till smooth and cook it with enough water till you get smooth paste. Knead rice flour and other ingredients with this rava paste just like we do for any murukku variety. But here, we need not add any water as there will be lot of moisture in the prepared rava paste. It would be enough to knead everything together. Either prepare mullu murukku or thenkuzhal murukku using the dough.
Some of the wheat rava recipes shared in my blog, Godhumai Rava Payasam, Vegetable Dalia, Rava Tutti Frutti Cake, Sanjori Bread, Oats Broken Wheat Pongal and Apple Lapsi. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Wheat Rava Chakli / Godhumai Rava Murukku
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup wheat rava
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 2-3 tbsp warm oil for kneading
- red chili powder - according to your need
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds / til
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Wheat Rava Murukku
- Sieve rice flour, salt, chili powder and asofeotida. Transfer them to a mixing bowl. Keep aside. Grind wheat rava in a mixer to smooth powder. Transfer to a bowl. Add little water and make thick paste. Take a pan or kadhai. Fill with 1 cup water. Heat on low medium flame. Once it starts boiling, add wheat rava paste. Switch to low flame and keep stirring to avoid lumps / katti. It will hardly take 5 minutes to cook. Once all the water is absorbed, switch off the flame.
- Add this to rice flour mixture and also add sesame seeds. Now start kneading. Add 1 tbsp warm oil at a time and knead to smooth dough. Close it and keep aside. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan or kadai on low flame. Take murukku press and fill it with portion of dough. Press it on a newspaper in circular motion to either make thenkuzhal shape or mullu murukku shape. Prepare it till oil gets hot.
- To check oil, drop a pinch of dough in oil and it should come up immediately. Change the flame to low-medium and deep fry murukku in batches. Fry till it turns golden brown and oil sizzling sound stops. Remove carefully from oil and drain the excess oil using an absorbent tissue paper. Store in an airtight container and serve.