5 Best Kollu Recipes for Weight Loss, I have compiled a list of best kollu recipes from my blog which are very effective for weight loss. Kollu / Ulavalu /Horse Gram / Kulthi is a nutritious bean rich in calcium, phosphorous, iron and protein. They are considered to be very helpful to people trying to reduce weight as it is rich in fiber. We prepare rasam / soup, sundal, curry and chutney with kollu. Kollu tends to increase heat inside our body which in turn helps to burn fat. Pregnant ladies should avoid having kollu.
Kollu recipes are most famous in Kongunadu Region of Tamilnadu. The chaaru which we get by cooking kollu along with water is very healthy and nutritious, it is used to prepare rasam / soup. Never waste the water even if its from the other pulse or legumes. They possess all the nutritional benefits of the beans. Kollu can also be used to prepare paruppu kuzhambu. I shall share the recipe soon.
Instead of preparing plain kollu sundal, add few chopped raw mango, cucumber and tomato, which not only makes it look colorful but also adds more fiber to the dish. If using kollu sprouts, then you can make a simple usal curry with it other than usual kurma kuzhambu. This curry can be served with idli, dosa or roti. For Kollu Podi, if you do not get vallarai keerai then no need to worry. You can replace it with mint leaves or increase the quantity of curry leaves or you can make it simple.
I wouldn’t say that people trying to gain weight should avoid this paruppu. Since it has good amount of iron and protein, it must be included in everyone’s diet no matter what age. Make sure to consult with your doctor if you have any particular health issues.I hope you find this useful. Send an email or leave a comment here if you have any queries.
Healthy South Indian Style Kollu Recipes
- Kollu Chutney, a healthy kongu style chutney recipe which can be enjoyed with idli, dosa or rice. Kollu is dry roasted, ground and blended together with onion, coconut, tamarind, garlic and chilies to thick paste. Add water to prepare chutney consistency. Thick paste is served with rice.
- Horse Gram Rasam, kollu soup prepared south indian style with tamarind, curry leaves, red chilies, garlic and coriander leaves with a touch of asofoetida, pepper and cumin powder.
- Kollu Sundal, simple and healthy horse gram sundal prepared with easily available ingredients. Pressure cooked kollu is tempered with onion, curry leaves and dry chilies with a hint of asofoetida.
- Vallarai Keerai Kollu Podi, an aromatic and flavorful Herbal Green Leaf Powder which can be enjoyed very well with cooked rice, idli or dosa. Home dried brahmi leaves roasted together with kollu, red chilies, curry leaves and blended with cumin seeds which in turn helps in digestion.
- Kollu Sprouts Kurma, a healthy kollu sprouts curry prepared south indian style with coconut base and freshly ground masala.