Betel Leaves Rasam / Vetrilai Poondu Rasam, today we will see how to prepare betel leaves, garlic and tamarind rasam with step by step instructions. A south indian soup recipe made just like any other rasam variety.
Betel Leaves are good for digestion. I have shared two recipes with vethalai, Betel Leaves Rice and Thepla. Always select small betel leaves which are light green in color and without any tears. You can store it in refrigerator for 3 or 4 days by wrapping in newspaper.
Tamarind pulp and tomato is soaked together in water and then mash them using palms. There are strainers to do this job of mashing but believe me when we use hands to mash tamarind pulp, they leave an unique flavor to the dish. Take one big garlic clove and remove its flakes. Using ammi kallu or mortar and pestle, smash them along with skin. Whenever we use garlic with skin, wash them first and then use. It is my long time wish to use an eeya chombu (traditional vessel) to prepare rasam. I have looked in T Nagar surrounding areas but couldn’t find in any utensil stores. Hopefully, I shall get near Parthasarthy temple. If you have maa kal (stone pot) then you can prepare rasam in that too.
Some of the other rasam varieties shared, Wood Apple Rasam, Thoothuvalai Keerai Rasam, Chettinadu Kozhi Rasam, Mysore Rasam and Lemon Rasam. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Vetrilai Poondu Rasam Recipe
- 4 betel leaves - chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1 garlic clove - flakes removed and crushed
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 stick curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin powder / jeera
- salt to taste
- asofoetida - a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- small lemon sized tamarind ball - soaked in 3 cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 dry red chilies
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to make Betel Leaves Rasam
- Soak tamarind and tomato in 2 cup water for 30 mins. Later, squeeze both tamarind pulp and tomato and keep it aside. Heat 2 tsp gingelly oil in a kadhai. Temper mustard seeds. Add chopped betel leaves and stir a while.
- Now, add crushed garlic, broken red chilies and curry leaves. Give a stir. Add pepper powder and cumin powder. Now, add tamarind water, turmeric powder, asofoetida and salt to taste. Mix everything well. Add more water if needed and let it boil. Garnish with chopped coriander and remove from the heat. Serve it with rice.