Veg and Non Veg Curry for Idli Dosa, I have compiled a list of 63 side dish varieties which can be served with idli and dosa. It includes chutney varieties, sambar recipes, veg curries / kurma and non veg curries.
Chutney recipes are all simple and easy to prepare. They can be even tried by bachelors or working women in no time. Some of the chutney stays well for more than 2 days which are mentioned in the particular recipe. The sambar recipes which I have shared goes well with rice too. Vegetable kurma varieties and non veg curries goes very well with parotta / idiyappam.
All the recipes are very simple. I have also shared the recipe for Idli Milagai Podi. Almost all the curry and chutney recipes are south indian style preparations. Vegetables curries are coconut based and flavored with garam masala and coriander powder. Puli Kuzhambu / Meen Kuzhambu / Fish Curry works very well with idli instead of dosa. I hope you find this list of curry for idli dosa useful. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Side Dish Recipes for Idli and Dosa
- Coconut Ginger Chutney, a very easy chutney recipe served with idli, dosa, pongal, upma or kara paniyaram.
- Carrot Peanut Mint Chutney, an easy & healthy chutney recipe perfect to go with idli or dosa, prepared using carrot, peanut, mint and coconut.
- Thalippu Vengaya Vadagam Chutney, a very easy chutney recipe made with sun-dried seasoning balls using ammikallu / masala grinding stone.
- Kollu Chutney, a healthy kongu style chutney recipe prepared from horse gram can be enjoyed with idli, dosa or rice.
- Green Capsicum Pottukadalai Chutney, green bell pepper, onion, dry chilies, pottukadalai and tamarind flavored chutney with no coconut added.
- Mint Peanut Chutney, a vegan chutney recipe, stays good for 2 days if stored in refrigerator.
- Gramathu Pudina Chutney, village style thick / getti mint chutney.
- Gongura Chutney, andhra style pulicha keerai chutney with no tamarind or coconut added.
- Tomato Chutney, tomato, coconut, tamarind and red chilies flavored simple chutney recipe.
- Coconut Coriander Chutney, coconut, pottukadalai, coriander and garlic flavored chutney, no frying needed.
- Coriander chutney, very light and simple chutney recipe made from coriander leaves, coconut, tamarind and dried methi leaves.
- Coconut Chutney, fried coconut, garlic and tamarind chutney.
- Onion-Tomato Chutney, a regular onion and tomato combination based chutney recipe.
- Coconut-Pottu Kadalai Chutney, raw coconut, garlic and pottukadalai chutney takes only 5 minutes to prepare.
- Onion Chutney, simple fried onion and coconut chutney prepared in less than 15 minutes.
- Groundnut Chutney, fried peanuts blended together with raw coconut, tamarind and garlic flakes.
- Coconut & Onion Chutney, another raw chutney recipe variety prepared from coconut, onion, red chilies and pottukadalai.
- Spicy Tomato Pickle, spicy south indian style pickle made from pulpy tomatoes and can be preserved for 10 days in refrigerator.
- Raw Onion Tomato Chutney, an easy chutney recipe prepared using raw onion and tomato. All you have to do is grind all the ingredients first and then cook it till you get thick chutney.
Sambar for Idli, Dosa and Rice
- Udupi Sambar, tamarind and coconut based sambar prepared with toor dal and with a touch of jaggery for mild sweetness.
- Dry Chili Sambar, very simple and easy to prepare chili sambar without any vegetables and no sambar powder added.
- Bombay Sambar, quick and easy sambar variety made using besan, no vegetables needed to prepare this simple curry.
- Mulangi Sambar, radish and toor dal sambar, tamarind based and sambar powder added.
- Uppu Sambar, simple sambar recipe, not spicy and filled with the flavor of whole moong dal, a slight touch of turmeric powder and salt alone makes it too delicious.
- Moong Dal Sambar, a tiffin sambar variety prepared from pasi paruppu / green gram.
- Mulaikattiya Payatham Paruppu Sambar, a healthy and quick sambar variety made from moong dal sprouts, tamarind based curry.
- Brinjal Drumstick Sambar, no onion sambar made from fresh masala of coconut, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, dry chilies and peppercorns.
- Raw Mango Nookal Sambar, no tamarind based curry since raw mango is used.
- Peerkanga Masial Sambar, sweet and sour in taste & good for health, this dish is common among village people, made from ride gourd and moong dal.
- SiruKeerai Kuzhambu, amaranths, toor dal and tamarind combination in a curry with no sambar powder added.
Veg Curries / Kurma for Idli, Dosa
- Vadakari, the famous steamed channa dal curry prepared without coconut, best to be served with idli or dosa.
- Potato Kurma, another famous kongunadu special potato curry made from fresh ground masala with a touch of coriander powder.
- Poondu Kuzhambu, a very simple and easy to prepare garlic curry which tastes just like non veg curry.
- Chettinadu Puli Kuzhambu, tamarind based simple plain curry without any vegetables added and tempered with onion vadagam.
- Chettinadu Style Veg Curry, mixed vegetable curry loaded with the flavors of coconut, poppy seeds, cashew, red chilies, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Pattani Salna, street side hotel famous salna curry prepared from dried peas, perfect with idli, dosa or parotta.
- Multi Veg Kurma, green colored curry prepared from mixed vegetables and mint, coconut, green chilies and pottukadalai.
- Quick Vegetable Kurma – without coconut, a very easy mixed vegetable kurma prepared without coconut, the creaminess comes from milk.
- Thakkali Kurma, a tomato and coconut based curry which can be prepared in a jiffy, no vegetables added.
- Kadala Paruppu Kurma, simple channa dal and vegetable curry to go with idli or dosa or parotta.
- Vegetable Kurma, a simple and spicy vegetable kurma prepared using pressure cooker in less than 20 minutes.
- Kollu Kurma Kuzhambu, a healthy and nutritious horse gram sprouts curry prepared south indian style.
- Moong Sprouts & Potato Curry, moong bean sprouts & potato curry, a flavorful coconut based curry made with fresh ground masala and sambar powder.
- Kathirikkai Kuzhambu, tamarind and coconut based curry, goes very well with cooked rice or idli or dosa.
- Soya Chunks Kurma, potato and soya chunks curry, mild spicy and full of flavors of coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and coconut milk.
- Pavakkai Verkadalai Kuzhambu, a very unusual combination of bitter gourd and peanuts which is spicy, tangy and bitter in taste.
Non Veg Curry for Idli Dosa and Parotta
- Simple Egg Curry, creamy boiled egg curry prepared using coconut milk, mildly spiced and has a rich flavor of garam masala.
- Karamani Muttai Salna, black eyed beans and egg drop curry prepared with freshly ground masala made by blending coconut, pottukadalai, cumin seeds and spices.
- Egg Salna, an another egg drop curry variety prepared from fresh ground masala also served with parotta.
- Spicy Muttai Kurma, easy to prepare egg curry flavored with sambar powder and coriander powder / garam masala.
- Meen Kuzhambu, a spicy and tangy fish curry based on tamarind, no coconut added, best to serve with idli and dosa.
- Kongu Style Kozhi Kuzhambu, village style country chicken curry prepared with coconut, sambar onion, red chilies and kongu special coriander powder.
- Chicken Curry using Sambar Powder, an easy and simple chicken curry recipe prepared using sambar powder and coconut.
- Chicken Kurma, another simple chicken curry recipe prepared home style with easily available ingredients.
- Spicy Chicken Kuzhambu, a spicy curry made using pressure cooker, marinated chicken cooked with fresh ground masala and coconut milk.
- Karuveppilai Kozhi Kari, curry leaf flavored south indian style chicken curry made from fresh ground masala.
- Kongu Style Aatu Kari Kuzhambu, village style mutton curry flavored with fresh ground coconut and coriander powder masala, the flavor of coriander seeds will be leading.
- Chettinadu Mutton Kuzhambu, the famous Mutton Curry prepared with fresh ground masala, use either pressure cooker or mud pot to prepare this curry.
- Boti Kuzhambu, a simple tripe curry prepared south indian style with the combination of coconut, coriander powder, cloves, cinnamon and saunf.
- Boti Kadala Paruppu Kuzhambu, lamb tripe curry prepared with channa dal and brinjal, typical village style curry also served with ragi kazhi.
- Mutton Curry, simple and flavorful mutton curry prepared with curd base.
- Mutton Curry Home Style, a rich and creamy lamb meat curry with the addition of maida and coconut milk.