Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe / Fruit Milk Maid Cake, today I’m sharing an easy fruit cake recipe made without eggs and alcohol. I have shared step by step photographs. Fruit Cake is not a vegan version as I have used milkmaid, butter and milk. Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake is soft, moist and dense in texture.
The recipe yields 750 gms Fruit Cake which can last upto 2 days at room temperature and 4-5 days if refrigerated. This is not a quick fruit cake version. I have soaked dry fruits and nuts in apple juice for 2 days in refrigerator. You can also use the soaked fruits the very next day. For non-alcoholic version, you can use apple juice, orange juice, grape juice or combination of apple & orange, vice-versa. For alcoholic version, try with rum or brandy or whisky. The taste will differ for both, but not too much difference. If preparing apple juice at home, then take 2 medium sized apples, peel off the skin and cut apple into pieces. Blend those pieces along with little water to smooth puree. Strain the juice and use it to soak dry fruits and nuts.
You do not need electric beater to prepare the batter, just a hand whisk will do the job. This cake is so easy to prepare. The maximum cake pan size I have is 8-inch round pan, so the left over cake batter I put in small muffin cups or pudding mould. For this eggless fruit cake, I have used a 8-inch round cake pan and a pudding mould. The baking time is 40-50 minutes. After 20 minutes of baking, cover the top of the cake loosely with a foil sheet to avoid burn.
I had initially set the timer to 30 minutes, but in the middle of baking (the big mistake), I opened the oven door and covered the cake pan with foil sheet because the top of the cake had little burnt marks. Till then the fruit cake was risen well. Since I had interrupted the inside temperature of oven, my cake later sunk in the middle which I noticed later. The cake getting baked in pudding mould was done in 40 minutes. Remove the pudding mould from the oven.
The outer edges of 8-inch round cake was cooked but the middle part was sunk and half cooked. Most of us will panic seeing this. Do not get tensed. Leave the foil sheet over top of the cake and bake for another 10-15 minutes or till a tooth pick inserted at the middle comes out clean. I had such a big relief when I cut the cake and found the inner sides of the middle part well cooked. If you face similar issues, just do not panic or throw away the cake. Bake for little longer but do not forget to cover the top of cake with a foil sheet. Whenever baking a cake, never interrupt it by opening the oven door frequently. Just adjust the time accordingly. If you have any doubts or queries, send me an email or leave a comment here.
Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake can also be tried using a steamer. I have also shared the recipe for how to prepare tutti frutti from scratch. Some of the christmas special cake recipes shared in my blog, Rava Fruit Cake, No Soak Christmas Cake, Mawa Cake, Rum Fruit Cake, Fruit and Nut Cake, Rum Raisin Cake & Eggless Dates Cake. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe
- 1 tbsp candied orange peels
- 1 tbsp orange marmalade
- ¾ cup / 200 ml apple juice (fresh or store bought)
- 1 cup / 200 gms dry fruits and nuts (prunes, glazed cherries, tutti frutti, dried cranberries, green raisin, black raisin, seed less dates, almond, cashew and walnut)
- 1 cup / 140 gms whole wheat flour
- 1 and ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup milk, at room temperature
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup / 135 ml milkmaid
- ½ cup olive oil
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Christmas Fruit and Nut Cake
- Finely chop all the dry fruits, nuts and mix with candied orange peels and marmalade. Take a jar or wide glass bowl. Combine apple juice & fruits and nuts mixture. Make sure that all the fruits are soaked well in juice.
- Cover it with a cling sheet and keep it in refrigerator if you want to soak for longer time. If you are going to use it next day, then keep the bowl at room temp. I let it soak for 2 days in refrigerator.
For Cake Preparation:
- Take out the soaked fruits and nuts mixture from the refrigerator and strain the juice. Keep juice aside. 30 minutes before baking, take all the ingredients to be used from the refrigerator. Once everything comes to room temperature, start using them.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add butter and brown sugar. Using a hand whisk, beat them for a while. Now, add milkmaid and beat again till smooth. Add milk and beat again. Now, add olive oil and beat again till everything combined well. Take the reserved apple juice from straining the soaked fruits and nuts. Add to the wet mixture and whisk well. Finally add soaked fruits and nuts and combine well everything.
- Sieve wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg powder. Add flour mixture to wet mixture part by part and combine well with a spatula. Fold everything and do not over mix the batter.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 mins. Pour the batter into the greased and flour dusted cake tin and bake for 30 minutes. Cover the top of the cake with a foil sheet and bake for another 10-20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Take out the cake from oven and let it cool completely. Serve it immediately or slice it and store in an airtight container.