Green Apple Pickle / Apple Thokku, an easy and yummy pickle preparation with green apple, made south indian style with step by step photos. The recipe is similar to tomato pickle and amla pickle which we prepare regularly at home.
Green apple, a good source of vitamin C, with its sweet and sour taste fits perfectly here. You can either grate them, chop them or blend them and use the puree to prepare pickle. Any method will work out fine. I have blended green apple but not to smooth consistency. Use this puree and cook along with pickling spices like cumin seeds, methi seeds, mustard seeds and chili powder.
I have used groundnut oil for cooking, you can replace it with gingelly oil or sunflower oil. Mustard oil has strong flavor so we will not use it here. The recipe is very simple and easy to prepare. You can serve this pickle with idli or dosa or as a side dish for rice. I loved the combo of dosa and green apple pickle. I usually prepare either mojito or simple green apple juice. This recipe was a hit in my family as you would not be able to find that its made from green apple.
Some of the other easy pickle recipes shared in my blog, Instant Grated Amla Pickle, Fresh Turmeric Ginger Pickle, Spicy Tomato Pickle, Garlic Pickle and Punjabi Mango Pickle. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback.
Apple Thokku Recipe
- 2 green apple
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- asofeotida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin powder / jeera
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds / methi dhana
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp oil
- Please check below for the instructions.
How to make Green Apple Pickle
- Chop apple into pieces and blend in a mixer to coarse paste. Do not add water while blending. Keep it aside. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and asofoetida. Add blended apple and stir well.
- Now, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and salt to taste. Mix well everything and cook for 15-18 minutes till all the moisture is absorbed from apple and you get thick mixture. Store in an airtight container and serve with rice, idli or dosa.