South Indian Style Whole Roasted Chicken, today we will learn how to prepare whole roasted masala chicken recipe prepared south indian style using shallots, dry chilies, curry leaves, curd, mint and spices. You can try this recipe for thanksgiving, christmas, new year or even diwali. This indian style whole roasted chicken also makes a great weeknight dinner.
Whole chicken with skin is cleaned well and washed thrice before marinating. Remove all the giblets from the cavity if the butcher didn’t clean it well. Wash the chicken thoroughly under tap water and pat it dry using clean kitchen towel. It requires two marination. First marinate with our Indian’s special turmeric powder and leave it rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the masala and marinate chicken with the fresh ground masala. Let it marinate overnight for better results. If you are in hurry, then let it marinate for minimum 4 hours.
When you keep the marinated chicken in the refrigerator, keep it closed to avoid contamination to other eatables inside fridge. Better use a foil sheet or cling sheet or even zip-lock bag. The baking time may vary depending upon the size of the chicken. I bought 1.25 kg chicken and it took around 1 hour 20 minutes to complete roasting.
At the beginning I was all happy, but after some 20 minutes, there was a power cut in my area and I was just tensed. Chicken was baked for only 20 minutes. In tension, I started browsing if there is any way to roast a whole chicken on stove top. The only way I found was to either boil a whole chicken in stock pot or cut them into pieces and cook on stove top using a skillet or pan. I waited for some 15 minutes, and then power came 🙂 It was such a relief.
I tried this whole roasted chicken after some 2 years, the first time I baked was Lemon Pepper Roasted Chicken. Then, I stopped eating chicken for a while due to some health issues. But now I have started preparing it again for the sake of hubby who loves chicken. I make chicken dishes every once a while for him. I have also been updating my old non veg recipes, so do check them out and if you need any particular recipe to be updated with steps, do send me a mail or comment here.
Indian style whole roasted chicken is filled with the aroma of fresh masala. The left overs can be used to prepare curry or prepare a roll. I didn’t add any water while preparing masala except for the water present in curd. When placing the chicken on a baking tray, remove the liquid if there any. Place the chicken on a foil sheet, this way you can avoid the mess.
While baking, juice will run out from chicken. Since the baking time is longer, the masala juice may get burnt, but do not worry, chicken is well good. If there is too much burnt marks on the foil sheet, replace with another one to avoid the burnt smell.
Some of the chicken starter recipes shared in my blog, Whole Roasted Chicken, Tandoori Chicken, Murgh Malai Kabab, Chicken Tikka and Achari Chicken Tikka. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
South Indian Style Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1.25 kg whole chicken with skin
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup curd / yogurt
- 8 dry red chilies (or) 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder / jeera
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds / saunf
- 2 and ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 and ½ tsp garam masala
- 30-40 curry leaves
- 100 gms pearl onion / shallots / sambar vengayam
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Whole Roasted Masala Chicken
- Wash the chicken and clean its cavity with running tap water. Pat it dry using clean kitchen cloth. It helps to remove moisture from chicken. Make deep insertions on the chicken with a sharp knife. If you are using Chicken with skin, then make the skin loose on chicken breast.
- Mix turmeric powder and lemon juice in a bowl and make a paste. Rub it all over the chicken and keep the chicken closed in refrigerator for 30 mins. Meanwhile, lets prepare the second marination masala. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Add shallots, broken red chilies, fennel seeds and curry leaves. Roast them for a while and remove from the heat.
- Blend them in a mixer along with mint leaves and ginger garlic paste to coarse paste. Do not add water. Take a mixing bowl. Add curd and neat it using hand whisk. Add pepper powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt to taste.
- Mix everything well and finally add ground green masala. Mix everything. Take chicken in a big wide bowl and marinate with the masala. For the Chicken with skin, apply paste on meat under the skin first. And then after applying all over the meat, rub the remaining paste on skin and inside the cavity. Close the chicken and keep it in refrigerator for overnight or min 4 hrs.
- Before roasting the chicken, keep it outside at room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat oven at 200 degree C for 10 mins. Take a baking sheet with greased foil. Place the chicken over foil and tie the legs of chicken with kitchen twain or thick thread. Pour few drops of olive oil all over the chicken.
- Keep it inside oven and first bake for 20 mins. Take tray outside. Carefully, flip the side and bake again for 25 mins. Take it out and flip the side again, pour the juice over chicken and bake for 20 mins. At this stage, my foil sheet got too many burnt marks so I changed the foil sheet and baked chicken for another 15 minutes.
- The oven temperature varies for every oven so check the meat if its cooked by making marks around the thigh region of chicken. If the juice runs clear and no pink flesh seen then your chicken is ready. Take it out from oven. Keep it aside for 10 min and then serve with Mayonnaise or Mint-Coriander Chutney and vegetable salad.