Karamani Masala Vadai Recipe, learn how to prepare simple and easy masala vadai with step by step instructions. To prepare karamani masala vadai, we need channa dal, dry field beans, onion, chilies and mint leaves. Karamani Masala Vadai makes a great evening snacks for kids. Serve them with coconut chutney and a cup of tea / coffee.
The recipe is similar to thinai masala vadai. Karamani / black eyed beans are soaked overnight and ground together with soaked channa dal. Chopped onion, chilies and mint leaves are mixed together with the paste and then deep fried. Before grinding karamani or channa dal, make sure to drain the water completely as it may make thin watery batter.
For karamani masala vadai recipe, black eyed beans works well. You need not cook them before grinding. I have used cold pressed (chekku) organic groundnut and gingelly oil to deep fry karamani masala vadai. Instead of using groundnut oil alone, mix with gingelly oil and use for frying as it enhances the nutrition value.
Whenever using cold pressed oils for deep frying, be careful since once we fry something in it, bubbles start appearing and sometimes flows down kadai. Use a heavy bottomed kadai and pour only sufficient oil for frying, i.e. till half the level. Masala vadai or any other deep fritters tastes so good when fried in cold pressed oil. Try this karamani masala vadai for a change and enjoy with your family.
Some of the other vadai recipes shared in my blog, Whole Moong Dal Vada,Baby Corn Vadai, Spinach Medhu Vadai, Beetroot Masala Vadai and Thinai Masala Vadai. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Karamani Masala Vadai Recipe
- ½ cup karamani / black eyed beans - soaked overnight in water
- ½ cup channa dal - soaked in water for 2 hours
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped mint leaves
- oil for deep frying
- Please check the instructions below.
How to make Karamani Masala Vadai
- Soak karamani beans overnight in water. It is enough to soak channa dal the next day in water. Soak for at-least 2 hours. Now, drain the water completely from both the dal. First, grind karamani beans in a mixer without adding any water for one or two pulse. Then add channa dal and grind to coarse paste.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add chopped onion, chilies, mint leaves and salt to taste. Mix well everything and keep aside. Heat oil for deep frying in a pan or kadai. Make small balls from the vadai batter. Flatten one ball to form a disc. Make sure it is not too thick or too thin.
- Once oil is hot, drop the disc carefully. Proceed with the remaining vadai batter balls. Fry till it turns golden brown on both the sides. Remove from the heat and drain the excess oil using absorbent tissue paper. Serve vadai with coconut chutney.