Pachai Sundakkai Puli Kuzhambu / Kara Kuzhambu, learn how to prepare healthy turkey berry curry prepared south indian style with step by step photos. I have already shared Sundakkai Vatha Kuzhambu recipe.
Sundakkai / Manathakkali, our very own south indian berries are more healthy, nutritious and rich in iron. They are loaded with the antioxidants which helps to flush out all bad radicals from our body. As I told in my previous post, they should be included in our diet at-least once or twice per week. They can be consumed either in fresh or dried form. Recently, I have been trying the recipes with fresh sundakkai and totally loving it. You have more options to cook with fresh berries.
Always crush sundakkai using mortar n pestle or ammikallu lightly before use to remove the bitterness. Then you can fry them or use directly in cooking. Whenever cooking any tamarind based curry, make use of clay pot / manpaanai as they give an unique flavor to the dish. I have used normal kadai here but for few recipes I have showed how to use clay pot to cook curry. Always use gingelly oil for preparing vatha kuzhambu / kara kuzhambu / puli kuzhambu.
This is an easy to prepare curry which gets ready in less than 20 minutes. You can prepare it with or without coconut. I have used vathal kuzhambu powder, you can replace it with sambar powder. Sundakkai Puli Kuzhambu can be served with idli or rice.
Some of the indian berries based recipes, Sundakkai Cutlet, Sundakkai Nethili Kuzhambu, Sundakkai Vatha Kuzhambu and Manathakkali Kuzhambu. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Sundakkai Kara Kuzhambu Recipe
- 50 ml pachai sundakkai / fresh turkey berry
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 and ½ tsp vatha kuzhambu powder (or) sambar powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ cup tamarind water
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- salt to taste
- asofoetida - a pinch
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-8 curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to make Sundakkai Puli Kuzhambu
- Wash the berries and remove the stem attached. Using mortar and pestle crush the berries. Keep it aside. Grind coconut with little water and keep aside. Heat 2 tbsp gingelly oil in a kadai or clay pot. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and saute a while. Now, add tomatoes and stir well. Add ginger garlic paste and crushed sundakkai. Give a stir. Now, add turmeric powder, vatha kuzhambu powder, coriander powder and asofoetida. Mix well everything.
- Now, add tamarind water and mix well. Cook it covered for 5-8 minutes on low-medium flame. The oil will separate from curry. Add coconut paste, pepper powder, salt to taste and 1 cup water. Add more water if needed and mix well everything. Cook it covered till you get thick curry. Serve this curry with idli or rice.