Funfetti Shortbread Bites Recipe, with step by step photographs. Easy and Buttery Shortbread Bites are cookies made using butter, sugar, sprinkles and flour. These cute bites are prepared from whole wheat flour. I have referred CookinClassy website for the recipe.
You can either use maida / all purpose flour or wheat flour. Shortbread bites are very addictive and you cannot have just one or two. They are cute, colorful and kids will enjoy having this. Make a big batch of these shortbread cookies for this christmas / new year and gift to your friends. They stay well for a week at room temperature. If refrigerated, they can come upto 2 or 3 months. But believe me, we just finished in 2 days 🙂 The recipe yields 65 shortbread bites. Adjust the quantity if you would like to make more.
The most important ingredient of this recipe is butter. It must be cold and firm. You should be able to cut into slices and butter should hold its shape. If butter melts, then cookies will spread while baking. It is enough if you keep butter outside for 15 minutes (based on Chennai weather). After preparing dough, keep it inside refrigerator for 30 minutes and then bake.
Some of the other cookie recipes you can try for Christmas, Vegan Beets Cookies, Nan Khatai, Coconut Cookies, Butter Biscuit and Sugar Cookies. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Funfetti Shortbread Bites Recipe
- ½ cup (or) 115 gms (or) 1 stick, unsalted butter (cold and firm)
- 1 and ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (or) almond essence
- 3 tbsp sprinkles
- ¼ tsp salt
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Butter Cookies
- Sieve wheat flour, salt and combine with sprinkles. Keep aside. Take out butter from the fridge and keep aside for 15 minutes. Measure it and cut into thin slices. Take a wide mixing bowl and add butter slices. Using a electric beater, beat butter at medium speed for few minutes.
- Add sugar and beat again till both are combined well and looks creamy. Add vanilla essence and beat again. Now, add wheat flour and sprinkles mixture part by part. Beat them at low speed till the mixture looks like crumble.
- With the help of a spatula, combine them together and now knead to smooth dough. Take a tray or board and place parchment paper. Now, keep the dough and press it evenly using your fingers. Spread it nicely. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1/2 inch squares just like we do to prepare barfi. Keep in refrigerator for 30 minutes or 1 hour. You can also keep it overnight and use the next day. If storing overnight, then keep the whole dough.
- Preheat oven at 160 degree C for 10 minutes. Take a baking sheet and place a parchment paper. Now, take the tray from refrigerator and separate the squares. Place them over baking tray leaving 2 cm gap. Bake them at 160 degree C for 15-18 minutes or till the bottom of the cookies turn light brown. Remove from oven and let it cool down completely. Store in an airtight container.