Spicy Muttai Kurma / South Indian Style Egg Curry / Egg Drop Curry, today we will see an easy and delicious egg kurma recipe prepared using sambar powder and coconut. This is tamilnadu style muttai kurma which goes very well with idli / dosa / roti / parotta / rice. Spicy Muttai Kurma is easy to prepare and comes handy when no vegetables are available at home.
The combination of sambar powder and coconut paste works very well here. The paste makes the curry more thick. Along with eggs, you can also soya chunks or other vegetables like carrot, beans or green peas. You can also add cooked legumes like mochai , karamani or channa to make this curry more nutritious. In spicy muttai kurma recipe, we are not going to add boiled eggs. This recipe is also known as egg drop curry. Break the shell of an egg and add the yolk and white to the curry. Close with lid and cook for at least 5 minutes without disturbing the egg. This way egg will hold the shape. You can check after 5 or 10 minutes and mix the curry. Egg will not break its form.
This recipe is one of the popular curry recipe in my blog and I have tried it ‘n’ number of times as I learnt this muttai kurma recipe from my mother. Believe me one egg would not be sufficient for one person. The curry tastes so delicious and the raw eggs leave a yummy flavor to the curry.
If you are looking for indian style egg recipes, then do check my compiled list of more than 70 varieties of egg recipes. Some of the other egg curry recipes shared in my blog, Egg Paneer Curry, Kolhapuri Egg Curry, Egg Soya Chunks Masala, Simple Egg Curry using Coconut Milk and Mustard Egg Curry. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Spicy Muttai Kurma Recipe
Spicy Muttai Kurma | How to prepare South Indian Style Egg Curry
how to prepare egg drop curry with step by step photos
Author: Preeti Tamilarasan
Recipe type: main
Cuisine: south indian
- ½ cup chopped coconut
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- 4 cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 1 medium sized tomato - chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- a pinch of garam masala
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp mint leaves - optional
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Egg Kurma Recipe
Paste 1 and Paste 2:
- Grind masala paste 1 by adding 1/2 cup coconut chopped, ginger garlic paste, 1/2 cup chopped onion, saunf, cloves and cinnamon in a mixer to smooth paste. Add 1 cup water and grind to smooth paste. Keep it aside. For paste 2, grind chopped tomato with 1/2 cup water to smooth paste. Keep it aside.
To prepare Curry:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadhai or pan. Temper mustard seeds & curry leaves. Add chopped onions and saute a while. I have added few mint leaves too. Now, add tomato paste and saute a while. Next add masala paste 1 and give a stir.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, sambar powder, salt and few pinch of garam masala. Mix well everything, add 1 cup water and cook covered for 10 minutes till raw masala smell goes. You can add more water if you need watery curry. Now, break the eggs and add in the curry one by one. Leave the eggs undisturbed and close the lid. Let it cook for 5- 10 minutes. Now, mix the curry carefully and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with chapati or idli or dosa.
Recipe Video :