Christmas Rum Cake, today we will learn how to prepare christmas special rum and raisin cake with step by step photographs. It can also be called as Rum Orange Honey Cake. Rum Cake is loaded with the subtle flavors of rum and orange juice. It is easy to prepare.
Black and green raisins are soaked in enough rum for a week or more. You can also soak it for a month. I did for a week. I have already shared two recipes using rum, Christmas Rum Fruit Cake and Rum Choco Balls. For rum cake, I have used whole wheat flour, you can also replace it with mutigrain flour or maida. Orange juice can be replaced by apple juice or grape juice. I have not used dark rum. It is very light. When you add orange juice to the wet batter, the mixture may look curdled. You need not worry. Just follow the procedure exactly. The orange juice and honey gives this nice golden color to the cake.
It is better idea to chop the raisins before soaking. I was very lazy to chop them and soaked whole raisins in rum. Raisins get plumpy after getting soaked in alcohol, so it would be a very nasty work when you chop them at the time of baking. Its better to chop them first and then soak in rum or any other alcohol. For 3/4 cup of raisin, I had used 1/2 cup rum. Soak them in a clean and airtight glass jar or bowl. Once a day, stir them using a clean wood spoon and close again. At the time of baking, strain the rum and use soaked raisins alone. Reserve the rum for the final touch.
I prepared two loaf cakes. I used the reserved rum for one cake. Just poke hones in the cake with a skewer or toothpick and drop a spoon of rum allover the holes. Cake will absorb the rum. Leave it for a while and then cut into slices. You can store this cake at room temperature for more than 4 days. But it didn’t last longer than that 🙂
Some of the other christmas cake recipes shared in my blog, Eggless Christmas Fruit Nuts Cake, Rava Fruit Cake, No Soak Christmas Cake, Mawa Cake, Non Alcoholic Cake & Christmas Rum Fruit Cake. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Christmas Rum Cake Recipe
- ¾ cup raisins (black and green raisin)
- 1 tbsp candied orange peels
- ½ cup rum or more if needed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 and ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup (55 gms) butter (keep outside for 30 minutes and use)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp orange marmalade
- ¼ cup (40 ml) fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp brandy essence - optional
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Rum and Raisin Cake
- Finely chop green and black raisins with candied orange peels. Take a jar or wide glass bowl. Combine rum and chopped raisins the jar and give a stir with a wooden spoon. Close the top with a cling sheet and keep it at room temperature for a week. Once a day, stir them again and close. At the time of baking, strain the leftover rum and keep aside. If there is no rum left, no problem.
- Sieve wheat flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Transfer to a bowl. Take butter in a mixing bowl. Beat it using a hand whisk or electric beater till smooth. Now, add brown sugar, orange marmalade, brandy essence and whip again till smooth and creamy.
- Add one egg at a time and beat it again. Now, add honey and beat again. Add orange and whip again. After adding juice, the batter may look curdled, but need not worry. Now, finally add olive oil and beat again.
- Add flour mixture to the wet mixture and fold well everything. Do not over mix the batter. Preheat oven to 180 degree C for 10 mins. Pour this batter into the greased cake tin. First set the timer to 25 minutes and bake the cake. Cover the cake pan with aluminium foil and bake for 10 mins or till a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Take out the cake from oven and let it cool completely. Using a skewer or toothpick, prick the top cake and pour a spoon of leftover reserved rum if any. Wrap the cake tightly with cling firm or foil sheet and keep at room temp. Slice it and serve.