Vazhaithandu Soup Recipe for Weight Loss, learn how to prepare a healthy, easy and delicious south indian style banana stem (plantain stem) soup with step by step photos. Vazhaithandu soup is flavored with pepper and cumin powder.
Vazhai Thandu / Plantain Stem, full of nutrition and rich in fiber. One of the well known benefit is weight loss and it helps to cure constipation because of its high fiber content. This weight loss soup can be made two ways. Try the clear soup method or blend the cooked soup and you will get thick soup.
I have shared a post on How to clean Vazhai Thandu which you can also refer. Whenever you clean vazhai thandu, put those chopped pieces in buttermilk to avoid browning of the stem. If using it on the next day, better leave this bowl in refrigerator and then prepare. Vazhaithandu soup is very easy to prepare. You can make this soup using a pressure cooker or stock pot. For flavoring, I have added only pepper and cumin powder. I have chopped medium bits. If making clear soup, then chop banana stem very finely. Do not throw off after cooking. You can eat those along with the soup. It gives a nice crunchy texture. Along with vazhaithandu, you can also add other vegetables like carrot and beans which will make it more colorful.
Some of the banana tree parts recipes shared in my blog, VazhaiThandu Kootu, Thandu Poriyal, Poo Vadai, Banana Halwa, Achari Kela, Vazhakkai Varuval and Vazhakkai Podimas. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Vazhaithandu Soup Recipe
- 200 gms chopped vazhai thandu / plantain stem
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- asofoetida - a pinch
- salt to taste
- black pepper powder - according to your need
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 4 cup water
- 2 tsp gingelly oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Banana Stem Clear Soup
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and saute a while. Now, add ginger garlic paste and stir well. Add chopped vazhaithandu, pepper powder, cumin powder, hing and salt to taste.
- Mix well everything and add 4 cup water. Close the lid and cook for 4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. If you want clear soup and serve it as it is. For thick soup, blend cooked vazhaithandu with little soup and mix everything well. Adjust salt and pepper accordingly. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.