Pattani Sorakkai Kurma, today we will see how to prepare a very flavorful and delicious dry peas and lauki curry recipe prepared using coconut. Dry Peas Curry is similar to the tamilnadu style salna recipe which we serve with parotta. Pattani Sorakkai Kurma can be served with chapati, parotta or even pulao.
Dry Peas / Pattani can be replaced by white chickpeas / kabuli channa, but the taste will sure differ. Those who doesn’t like to add lauki / bottle gourd / sorakkai can skip this vegetable. To make this curry more nutritious, try adding veggies like carrot, potato or nookal. Too much vegetables will make the taste differ.
For pattani sorakkai kurma, I have used home grown bottle gourd which doesn’t look like the one we get in market. We grow these at my in-laws place and it tastes far better than the another variety. I did not peel off the skin of sorakkai as it is very tender. When you buy naatu sorakkai / organic lauki, press your nails on its skin, it should go smoothly. Such vegetable can be cooked with its skin on.
Recently, I have been away from my blog due to some personal reasons. I hope to get back on the track soon. I have some old recipes which I shall share for next few weeks.
Some of the recipes tried with pattani shared in my blog, Dry Peas Masala for evening snacks, Pattani Sundal and Pattani Salna. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us. If you are looking for curry recipes to be served with chapati or pulao, then do check my post on Side dish for Roti recipes.
Pattani Sorakkai Kurma Recipe
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp chopped coconut
- 1 tsp saunf / fennel seeds
- 1 tsp khus khus / poppy seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp pottukadalai / roasted gram
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili
- 3 dry red chilies
- ¾ cup dry white peas / pattani
- ½ cup finely chopped sorakkai / bottle gourd / lauki
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare South Indian style Lauki Curry
- Soak dry peas overnight in water. Next day, pressure cook with 1 cup water for 4-5 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Transfer cooked dry peas and the remaining water to a bowl. Prepare masala paste by grinding all the ingredients mentioned under “For Paste” adding little water to smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds and add chopped onions. Saute a while. Now, add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add chopped lauki, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and asofeotida. Mix well everything.
- Add cooked peas with water. Stir well. Finally add ground masala and salt to taste. Mix well everything. Add 2 to 3 cup water and close the lid. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles and remove from the heat. Let the pressure settle. Serve curry with pulao, rice or roti.