Manathakkali Keerai Chutney, today we will see how to prepare a healthy and nutritious chutney recipe prepared from black nightshade greens (manathakkali keerai), coconut, pearl onion and curry leaves. To prepare Manathakkali keerai chutney, you can also make use of the flower and fruit along with the leaves. The whole combination makes it more healthy.
The chutney / dip can be used as a side for rice, idli or dosa. Manathakkali chutney is very easy to prepare and all it requires is 10 minutes to fry. To make it thick, do not add water while grinding the ingredients. Try grinding using ammi kallu / grinding stone for the authentic taste. Use this chutney as spread for sandwiches.
The recipes made using manathakkali shared in my blog, Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu and Podalanga Manathakkali Kootu. Just like any other green leaf variety, Manathakkali keerai is very healthy and known to cure stomach ulcer. Try to include this green once or twice per week. Always cut off the leaves, fruit and flower part and use for cooking. Manathakkali kai can be used to prepare puli kuzhambu just like we prepare vathal kuzhambu.
Some of the chutney recipes prepared using green leaves, Coriander chutney, Gongura Chutney, Pudina chutney, Carrot Mint Chutney and Peanut Mint Chutney. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Manathakkali Keerai Chutney Recipe
- 1 bunch manathakkali keerai / black nightshade - cleaned and washed
- 5-6 pearl onion / sambar vengayam
- dry red chili - according to your need
- 3-4 garlic flakes
- 1 stick curry leaves
- small marble sized tamarind ball
- ¼ cup coconut - grated
- 1 tsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / split bengal gram
- 1 tsp channa dal / kadala paruppu / split benal gram
- asfotida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp water
- Heat 2 tsp gingelly oil in a kadai or pan. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves, urad dal, channa dal, red chilies and asofeotida.
- Add pearl onions, garlic flakes and tamarind. Saute a while. Now, add coconut and cook for few minutes. Finally, add washed manathakkali keerai and cook till raw smell goes off and there is no moisture left in keerai. Switch off the flame and allow the ingredients to cool.
- Grind using a mixer to smooth paste adding salt and water is using. Transfer to a bowl and serve with rice, idli or dosa.