Phalguni Dal, today we will see how to prepare an easy side dish for roti / chapati using fresh green peas (matar) and masoor dal (mysore paruppu / split red lentils). This is a healthy, protein-rich and very filling meal on its own.
Phalguni Dal Recipe is a Bengali style dal prepared with the combination of masoor dal and green peas. Usually, this dal is made watery but I made it little bit thick to serve with rice. The recipe is inspired from Tickling Palates. Change the consistency of the curry according to your requirement. You can also use frozen green peas to prepare phalguni dal. Masoor dal is pressure cooked together with tomato and ginger garlic paste. Dal is then mashed and cooked with fresh green peas and other ingredients. For tempering, we are using panch phoron (fennel seeds, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and kalonji seeds). Serve this dal with roti / chapati and jhuri aloo bhaja.
Phalguni Dal Recipe / How to prepare Green Peas Curry for Roti
- ¼ cup masoor dal / split red lentils / mysore paruppu
- ¼ cup fresh green peas
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – chopped
- 2 green chilies – chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Asofoetida / hing – a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp kalonji
- Wash masoor dal and pressure cook with chopped tomato, ginger-garlic paste and 1 and ½ cup water for 3 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash the dal and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp mustard oil in a pan or Kadai. Temper mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and kalonji.
- Add chopped onions and green chilies. Sauté a while. Add asofoetida. Add fresh green peas and turmeric powder. Cook for 2 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Add mashed masoor dal, garam masala and salt to taste. Mix well everything. Add 2 cup water and cook for 5-10 minutes. Serve hot with rice or roti.