Collection of Karuvadu Recipes, I’m sharing a list of 8 south indian style karuvadu / salted dry fish recipes. The list includes curry varieties and dry varuval recipes. Karuvadu recipes are often tried during summer at my place. There are various karuvadu varieties which you can find at market mostly during aadi month. But our most favorite one is nethili karuvadu. I have shared 3 different varieties of nethili karuvadu kuzhambu.
Always pre soak karuvadu in water and cook for some 10 minutes in water. This step is necessary to avoid raw smell. Karuvadu kuzhambu is paired with Ragi Koozh or Ragi Kazhi or rice. I have tried karuvadu varuval or thokku with roti, which is also my family’s favorite dish. Just roll the masala inside roti and serve. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
List of Karuvadu Recipes
- Karuvadu Konda Kadalai Kuzhambu, nethili karuvadu and white chickpeas are cooked in a tamarind based curry. freshly ground masala prepared using shallots, tomatoes and dry chilies add unique flavor to the dish.
- Vanjaram Karuvadu Varuval, an easy dry varuval or thokku recipe prepared using vanjaram karuvadu / dry king fish, onion, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, chili powder and coriander powder. serve this with cooked rice or as a side dish with roti / chapati.
- Sundakkai Nethili Karuvadu Kuzhambu, a unique combination of fresh turkey berry / sundakkai and nethili karuvadu along with other vegetables like brinjal and drumstick, flavored with sambar powder and coriander powder and cooked with tamarind juice. serve this along with ragi kazhi or cooked rice.
- Nethili Karuvadu Kuzhambu, another nethili karuvadu kuzhambu variety prepared using avarakkai and mochai beans in coconut and tamarind based curry.
- Nethili Pepper Fry, a simple and easy thokku variety prepared using onion, curry leaves and lots of pepper.
- Prawn Masala Chapati Roll, small size dry prawns are cooked as masala and stuffed inside chapati / roti.
- Nethili Karuvadu Thokku, another thokku variety prepared using dried anchovies or nethili, best to serve with rasam rice.
- Nethili Kadai Fry, a very simple stir fried nethili karuvadu recipe flavored with turmeric powder, chili powder and salt. Serve it as starter / appetizer.