Collection of Biryani Varieties, Biryani, a popular rice based dish made with rice, spices and cooked chicken, egg, seafood, lamb or any vegetables. The various indian spices are used to prepare Biriyani and each cuisine has got its own set of ingredients which are brought together to prepare an unique and aromatic Biriyani.
Some of the spices used are Cloves, Cinnamon, Star anise, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Maze & Bay leaf. Other ingredients include Curd / Yogurt, Onion, Tomatoes, Green chilies, Mint & Coriander Leaves.
In Tamilnadu (south-Indian State), two types of rice grains are used to prepare Biriyani. They are Seeraga Samba & Basmati Rice. Basmati Rice is basically a long-grained rice which has got its own flavor and it is also used in north-Indian states. Whereas, Seeraga Samba Rice are very short compared to Basmati Rice and it is grown in south-Indian state of Tamilnadu.
There are various methods to cook Biriyani. Rice can be either 3/4 th cooked, followed by the layering of meat or vegetable base curry and then sealing the vessel with roti dough. This method is called Dum Process where all the ingredients are cooked under slow heat covered with charcoal (as in old traditional method) or on stove top.
I have mostly shared south indian style of biryani making process except for few north indian style biryani recipes. I hope you would find this list useful, especially, the biryani lovers like me 🙂 Some of the famous biryani recipes like Ambur biryani, Dindugal biryani, Hyderabad biryani, Mumbai biryani, etc.. have been shared.
If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us. I shall keep updating this list whenever I publish a new biryani recipe. So do check out this space for more number of biryani varieties and cook and enjoy…
Collection of Biryani Varieties
Vegetarian Biryani Recipes
- Tofu Peas Biryani, an aromatic and delicious tofu and peas biryani prepared using fresh homemade biryani masala, coconut milk and seeraga samba rice.
- Ambur Vegetable Biryani, the famous south indian style dum biryani variety made using vegetables like carrot, beans, potato and peas.
- Vegetable Kacchi Biryani, kacchi means ‘raw’, the raw vegetables are marinated with yogurt, spices and cooked with rice on dum till perfection.
- Mushroom Biryani, how to prepare south indian style mushroom biryani in a clay pot with step by step pictures.
- Pudina Biryani, spicy mint biryani (without vegetable or meat), another flavorful biryani made with fresh ground mint paste and biryani masala.
- Hyderabad Vegetable Dum Biryani, a very famous Biryani recipe made with rice and vegetables. Clay pot gives an unique flavor to the dish.
- Beetroot Soya Chunks Biryani, a vegan friendly, gluten free and healthy south Indian style Biryani recipe flavored with coconut milk and fresh ground coriander powder.
- Vegetable Pasta Biryani, a spicy and aromatic biryani made from whole wheat fusilli pasta and combination of vegetables like baby corn, mushroom, beans, carrot and green peas.
- Raw Jackfruit Biryani, a regular biryani recipe made using baby jackfruit and fresh homemade biryani masala powder.
- Mushroom & Spinach Biryani, a flavorful biryani prepared from Button Mushrooms and Spinach with a touch of fresh Biryani Masala.
- Kuska Biryani, a south indian special plain biryani recipe prepared without using vegetables or meat but gets its flavor from fresh paste and stock.
- Achari Paneer Tikka Biryani, a flavorful biryani recipes prepared using pickling spices like fenugreek seeds, onion seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Qabooli Biryani, Hyderabad special lentil biryani made from split bengal gram or channa dal and served with special curd chutney.
- Paneer & Soya Chunks Biryani, another biryani variety prepared using paneer and soya chunks with curd, biryani powder and fresh ground masala paste.
- Kofta Biryani, biryani prepared using kofta (combination of potato, paneer and plantain), try this biryani for a unique flavor and aroma.
- Mixed Sprouts Biryani, protein rich healthy biryani variety prepared using mixed sprouts (red kidney beans, white chickpeas, green chickpeas), cashew nuts and poppy seeds.
- Baby JackFruit Biryani, a regular chettinad style biryani preparation
- Vegetable Brinji, another famous south indian style vegetable biryani recipe usually served during marriage or on special occasions.
Non-vegetarian Biryani Recipes
Chicken Biryani Varieties
- Ambur Chicken Biriyani, south-Indian special biryani recipe which is equally famous as Dindgul Biryani. Though each one uses somewhat same types of ingredients, but still they have got their own unique taste.
- Mumbai Style Chicken Biryani, A very flavorful and aromatic biryani prepared from indian spices, fried potatoes and chicken.
- Chicken Biriyani with Homemade Masala Powder, a simple chicken biryani recipe prepared using biryani powder and coconut milk.
- Chicken Biriyani with Brown Rice, chettinad style chicken biryani recipe made healthy using brown rice.
- Hyderabad Chicken Dum Biriyani, the famous Hyderabad style chicken dum biryani, the cooking procedure may seem long but still worth to try.
- Dindigul Chicken Biriyani, the famous south Indian style Chicken Biryani with subtle flavors of mint leaves and garam masala.
- Zafrani Chicken Biriyani, a typical north indian style chicken biryani recipe prepared using dum method of cooking.
- Chettinad Chicken Biriyani, a regular yet famous and flavorful chettinad style chicken biryani.
- South Indian Chicken Biryani, how to prepare an easy home style chicken biryani recipe using dum method.
Egg Biryani Varieties
- Egg Biriyani Using Brown Rice, biryani recipe prepared using curd, vegetable stock, fresh ground masala and indian spices.
- Boiled Egg & Coconut Milk Biryani, flavored with coriander and garam masala, this is one easy and delicious biryani which can also be tried with vegetables, chicken, fish, mutton or prawns.
Mutton Biryani Varieties
- Keema Dum Biryani, minced lamb meat biryani, flavored with fresh garam masala and spices.
- Mutton & Curry Leaves Biryani, Kongu Style Mutton Biryani, doesn’t contain garam masala or biryani masala. It is loaded with the flavors of curry leaves and my special kongu style coriander powder.
- Chettinad Mutton Biriyani, delicious chettinad style biryani prepared using special ground masala paste which leaves an unique flavor to the dish.
- Mutton Biriyani using Brown Rice, a simple and nutritious biryani that can be also tried with egg, vegetables, fish or chicken.
- Chettinad Mutton Biriyani – Using Coconut Milk, how to prepare the famous chettinad mutton biryani using coconut milk and spices. I have followed dum method of cooking to prepare this south indian special chettinad mutton coconut milk biryani.
- Ambur Mutton Biriyani, the famous ambur style mutton dum biryani recipe with step by step photos.
- Mutton Biriyani – Microwave Cooking, an easy and simple biryani recipe prepared in a microwave oven.
- Dindigul Mutton Biryani, famous tamilnadu style biryani recipe made from seeraga sambar rice and mutton / chicken.
Seafood Biryani Varieties
- Easy Prawn Biryani, an easy method which doesn’t require much grinding and very light to stomach.
- Crab Biriyani, tamilnadu style nandu biryani made with crab meat and not using its claws / legs.
- Cabbage & Prawn 65 Biriyani, a unique combination of cabbage and prawn 65 in a special biryani recipe.
- Easy Prawn Tikka Biryani, an easy and delicious prawn tikka biryani made south indian style, prepared using clay pot / manpaanai and filled with the rustic flavors.