Lemon Pickle Recipe, learn how to prepare tamilnadu (south indian) style lemon pickle at home with step by step photos. Lemon Pickle / Lemon Oorugai is very easy to prepare. I have not added much spice and sun dried the pickle for a week.
Since we have sun dried the lemon pickle, the shell life will vary from 6 months to 1 year depending upon the usage. Just make sure to store in a clean jar or pickle jaadi and use clean spoon or wooden spoon. There are two ways to prepare this pickle. Either cook lemon wedges with all the masala before hand and then keep under sunlight or keep rock salt and lemon wedges mixture under sunlight for a week and then add the tempered masala to the plain pickle. I have followed the first method.
Use ripe lemon (ie. with yellow skin) to prepare this pickle. You can either use gingelly oil or ground nut oil for tempering. Mustard oil is mainly preferred for north indian style pickle recipes. After keeping the pickle jar under sun light for the whole day, do not forget to keep the jar on kitchen top for the rest of the day. Once pickle is completely done, you can store the jar in a refrigerator.
Some of the pickle recipes shared in my blog, Green Apple Pickle, Punjabi Mango Pickle, Malai Poondu Oorugai, Nellikai Urugai and Nellikai Thokku. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Lemon Pickle Recipe
- 30 small sized lemons - cut into 4 wedges
- 4 tbsp gingelly oil or peanut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds powder / vendayam thool
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- tsp red chili powder
- asofoetida / hing - few pinch
- rock salt - according to your need
- Please check the instructions below.
How to make Lemon Pickle
- Wash lemon and pat it dry completely to remove water. Now, cut lemon into 2 or 4 wedges according to your preference. Keep it aside. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds powder.
- Now, add turmeric powder, chili powder and asofoetida. Stir well and add lemon wedges along with rock salt. Mix well everything and let it cook for 5 minutes on medium flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer the pickle to a clean jar or pickle jaadi. Keep the jar under sun light for a week or minimum of 4-5 days. Make sure to stir the pickle with a clean wooden spoon every day before keeping it under sunlight and after moving to kitchen top counter. This step is to just make sure the lemons are well marinated with spices mixture. Once pickle is completely done, you can store in a refrigerator and use when needed.