Nethili Meen Thokku, today we will see how to prepare tamilnadu style nethili fish / anchovies thokku with step by step photos. Nethili meen thokku goes very well with rasam rice or you can prepare it as chapati roll for kids lunch box or for dinner.
Anchovies / Nethili meen is cleaned, washed and marinated with sambar powder. Fry those pieces and saute with onion, tomato, curry leaves and ginger garlic paste. The same procedure can be followed for any boneless fish cubes. I have added fried fish to prepare thokku because I dont like the raw smell of nethili in curry or gravy. You can add raw fish directly to the gravy according to your preference. The preparation is similar to nethili karuvadu thokku, so those who avoid dry seafood can try this delicious nethili meen thokku and enjoy with rasam rice. Nethili meen thokku is prepared without adding water. You would get dry thokku. I have used coconut oil for frying and sauteing. You can replace it with groundnut oil.
Some of the other fish recipes shared in my blog, Sheela Meenu Puttu, Nethili Meen Varuval (Nellikuppam Special), Kezhanga Meen (Smelt) Pickle, Ayala Meen Varuval – Chettinadu Style Fry and Tandoori Pomfret. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Nethili Meen Thokku Recipe
- 40 pieces of nethili / anchovies
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sambar powder
- salt to taste
- 1 big onion - finely chopped
- 1 tomato - finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 and ½ tsp sambar powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- curry leaves - 1 stick
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Meen Thokku
- Marinate fish with turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt to taste. Keep aside for 30 minutes. Heat a tava or frying pan. Add 3 tbsp oil and shallow fry nethili fish till it turns golden brown. Remove from the heat and keep aside. Transfer the left over oil to the pan or kadhai and heat it. Add 1 tbsp extra oil if needed.
- Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and cook for a while. Now, add tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add ginger garlic paste and stir well. Now, add fried nethili fish, turmeric powder, sambar powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Stir well everything and cook it covered on low flame for 10-15 minutes. Serve thokku with rasam rice or roll inside roti.