Onion Vathal Recipe, learn how to prepare onion vathal / vadam / onion fryums at home with step by step photos. Vengaya vathal / Onion vathal is similar to kanji vathal / murukku vathal except that we add shallots / sambar vengayam here. This is a summer special snacks recipe which is prepared at every south indian home. Summer is all about making pickle and vathal at home.
If preparing large quantity, helping hands are sure needed. Onion vathal is prepared using raw rice / pachai arisi, green chilies, shallots, rock salt and cumin seeds. Use either a polythene sheet or clean dhoti / vesti / dupatta or stainless steel plate to lay onion vathal. Keep it under sunlight for 2 or 3 days.
Since the temperature at Chennai is very high and we live directly below the terrace, my house always feels like furnace. I kept vathal for 2 days under sunlight and for next 2 days kept it on kitchen top counter for drying. Since we are using onion, the color of vathal after drying may change to golden brown. Make sure to completely dry the vathal because sometimes the outer layer dries soon but the middle part takes time. Store sun dried onion vathal in a clean container and fry them when needed.
How to prepare Vengaya Vathal
- 4 cup raw rice
- 5 green chilies
- 1 tbsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 200 gm shallots - skin peeled and chopped
- rock salt - according to your need
- asofeotida / hing - a pinch
- Please check the instructions below.
Onion Vathal Recipe
- Grind shallots, jeera and green chilies without adding water in a mixer grinder to coarse paste. Keep it aside. Wash raw rice and drain the water completely. No need to soak the rice. Take a pressure cooker and add raw rice, 12 cup water, rock salt, ground paste and asofoetida.
- Mix well everything and close the lid. Pressure cook for 10-12 whistles on medium flame. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Now, using a round or flat ladle, mash the cooked mixture. Let it come to lukewarm stage and then wet your palms and start making small balls. Place those balls either on a plastic sheet or cloth or steel plate keeping few inches distance between each vathal.
- Keep the vathal under sun light for minimum 3-4 days deepening on the temperature of your place. Just make sure the vathal dries up completely. Now, you can store them in an airtight container. Heat oil for frying in a pan or kadhai. Fry vathal till it turns crispy. Serve them as snacks.