The Best Amla Recipes, I have compiled a list of 9 best amla / nellikai recipes shared in my blog. The recipes include jam, cake, juice, variety rice and pickle. Amla / Indian Gooseberry / Nellikai is a rich source of vitamin C.
This small fruit has got wonderful health benefits. Vitamin C helps in absorption of calcium, and this fruit just like orange helps to do that. Diabetics should include it in their diet. It has got sweet and sour taste and most of the people avoid it because of its taste. I have still got too many amla recipes waiting to be shared.
Dry amla powder is very healthy and diabetic people should consume it everyday in an empty stomach. My father takes it daily in lukewarm water. You can find this powder in ayurvedic shops / naatu marundu kadai. You can also prepare this at home. Sun dry chopped amla till all the moisture gets shrunken, grind it in a mixer grinder and use this powder. It is not necessary that only diabetic should consume it.
I have tried two varieties of amla, one regular size which we get in markets and the other one looks start shape which you would not find in markets. My favorite is later one. Star shaped gooseberries are the best to prepare pickle or murabba. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Collection of Nellikai Recipes / 9 Best Amla Recipes
- Instant Grated Amla Pickle, Nellikai Thokku, an easy to prepare indian gooseberry pickle recipe which gets ready in less than 10 mins.
- Egg less Amla Jaggery Cake, an egg-less, soft, spongy, vegan and healthy cake made from indian gooseberry, coconut, palm jaggery and cold water.
- Amla Murabba, a healthy way of preserving Amla / Nellikai in jaggery syrup. It is prepared either using sugar, jaggery or honey. I have used karupati vellam, which gives sweet, sour and spicy taste.
- Nellikai Jam, spicy amla jam prepared using amla, sugar, cloves, cinnamon and lemon juice. Lemon juice acts as a preservative.
- Mango Amla Juice, fresh juice prepared using mangoes and amla, sweetened using sugar. Replace sugar with honey or jaggery to make it healthy.
- Amla Juice, spicy and minty flavored amla juice sweetened using sugar or honey. Try this refreshing indian gooseberry juice during summer and beat the scorching heat.
- Amla Chicken Varuval, a unique combination of amla and chicken, a typical south indian style masala preparation using amla pickle, shallots, spices, yogurt, curry leaves and masala powders.
- Amla Pickle, a healthy and diabetic friendly pickle recipe prepared using only 1 teaspoon oil.
- Nellikai Rice, a south indian style variety rice prepared using amla just like lemon rice preparation. serve this delicious amla rice with potato fry and pickle.