Dalia Nombu Kanji, learn how to prepare ramadan nombu kanji using wheat rava / broken wheat / dalia with step by step photos. There are many variations which can be tried, like, you can use, raw rice, oats, dalia, millets / siru dhaniyam etc to prepare nombu kanji. I have shared veg version of dalia nombu kanji. Non vegetarians can try adding mutton or chicken to this kanji. If you are looking for Iftar / Suhoor recipes, then do check my post.
Wheat rava / Dalia is highly nutritious compared to semolina / rava. You can easily replace rice with dalia and serve with curry. They are very filling and also lowers the blood sugar level. When I served this kanji to my husband, he didn’t believe its made from dalia. The taste was very delicious. He never liked wheat rava and I have to always force him to eat it.
Not only for iftar, you can make this kanji at any time and serve. I have not used ghee here and made dalia kanji using only 1 tsp oil. The real flavor comes from the coconut milk, moong dal and channa dal. You can avoid spices like clove and cinnamon and make this kanji plain.
Ramadan Nombu Kanji using Wheat Rava
- ¼ cup dalia / wheat rava / broken wheat / godhumai rava
- 1 tbsp channa dal / kadala paruppu
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 2 tbsp split moong dal / siru paruppu
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- ¼ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chilies - chopped
- 2 cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 1 stick curry leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 3 or 4 cup water
- 1 tsp oil
- Please check the instructions below.
How to make Dalia Nombu Kanji
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add curry leaves, clove and cinnamon stick. Saute a while. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Stir well. Add chopped tomato, mint and coriander leaves. Cook for a while.
- Add chopped carrot and stir well. Now add moong dal, channa dal, dalia, turmeric powder and ginger garlic paste. Stir well everything. Add water and salt to taste. Mix well everything and close the lid.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on medium flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Open the lid and mix kanji. Add coconut milk and water if needed. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat. Serve hot.