Murungai Keerai Soup, today we will see how to prepare tamilnadu style drumstick leaves / murungai keerai soup at home with step by step photos.
Murungai Keerai / Moringa Leaves / Drumstick Leaves is a wonderful green leaf variety with lots of health benefits. They are rich in iron and it should be included in diet at least once or twice per week. Pregnant ladies can consume it more often because of its rich iron content.
I learnt this recipe from my yoga tutor and slightly modified it according to my comfort. Just take handful of moringa leaves and cook with onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, pepper, cumin, coriander powder, turmeric, salt and water. You can use a pressure cooker to make it quick instead of using stock pot. You can either serve it as clear soup or blend the cooked mixture and serve thick. I always prefer to have keerai soup during day time that is before lunch to avoid digestion issues. The same ingredients can be used to prepare any green leaf / keerai soup. This soup is very healthy and low in calories, but rich in iron content. I have used only 1 tsp oil and soup gets cooked in 10 minutes.
Murungai Keerai Soup Recipe
- handful murungai keerai / drumstick leaves - washed
- 1 tsp gingelly oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- pepper powder - according to your need
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp jeera / cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 3 cup water
- Please check the instructions below.
Steps to make Moringa Leaves soup
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and stir well. Now, add chopped tomato and ginger garlic paste. Stir well everything. Add drumstick leaves, turmeric powder, pepper powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well and add salt to taste. Now, add 3 cup water or more if needed and close the lid. Pressure cook for 4 whistles on medium flame. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Strain the juice and keep aside. Blend the filtered mixture in a mixer to smooth paste. combine this paste with strained juice and cook for a minute. You can add more water if needed. Serve hot.