Muttai Surkha / Muttai Paniyaram, learn how to make mutta surkha recipe with step by step photos.
I learnt this recipe from my mom’s neighbor who made this special savoury muttai paniyaram for iftar. She is based out of Nagercoil (Tamilnadu) and muttai surkha is their specialty dish which they usually make for evening snacks. It is easy and quick to prepare. When searched for the similar recipes in google, I stumbled upon various blogs and found out this recipe is also famous in Kerala. I’m not sure if this recipe is tamilnadu or kerala special, but anyway I got to try a new recipe 🙂
I have used my soapstone paniyaram vessel for making these delicious paniyaram. Due to the size of the cavity of pan, I made 7 medium size paniyaram. But, if you use a non stick pan or cast iron pan, you would easily get 14-15 small size paniyaram. For 1 cup of rice flour, you must add 2 eggs. so adjust the measurement accordingly if making large batch of mutta surkha. They can be served with coconut or kara chutney. I have also shared the recipe for Sweet Egg Paniyaram.
Some of the other egg starter recipes shared in my blog, Egg Bonda, Karandi Muttai, Boiled Egg Fry, Mini Idli & Egg Fry and Medhu Vadai Bhujjia. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Muttai Surkha Recipe
- 1 cup rice flour (or) idiyappam flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 stick curry leaves - chopped
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 2 or 3 green chilies - chopped
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera powder
- ¼ tsp pepper powder - optional
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup water - if needed
- Please check the instructions below.
Steps to make Savoury Muttai Paniyaram
- Sieve rice flour and keep aside. Take a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and beat well. Now, add chopped onions, green chilies, curry leaves, coriander leaves, pepper, cumin powder and grated coconut.
- Mix well everything. Now, add rice flour and mix well without forming any lumps. Finally, add salt to taste. If the batter is too thick, then add few tbsp of water at a time and mix well. The batter should not be too thick or watery.
- Take soapstone paniyaram pan or non stick pan and heat on low flame. Grease the pits with oil. Once the pan is hot, take a ladleful of batter and pour into each pits. Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for few minutes.
- Now, turnover each paniyaram and cook till a toothpick inserted at the center of paniyaram comes out clean. Remove paniyaram with the help of needle like stick and proceed with the remaining batter. Serve paniyaram hot with coconut or kara chutney.