Pineapple Rasam Recipe, learn how to prepare pineapple rasam with step by step photos. Serve this delicious vegan pineapple rasam with rice and potato varuval for a delicious combo.
To prepare pineapple rasam, we need mashed toor dal just like we prepare paruppu rasam. Do not throw off pineapple core because we will be using that too. Take 5 pineapple slices and chop half of them into pieces and grind the other half to smooth puree. Chopped pineapple bits gives a crunchy taste. Pineapple rasam is very easy to prepare just like any other rasam variety. You can skip mint leaves if you do not wish to add it. You can also serve this rasam as soup.
Some of the other rasam varieties shared in my blog, Vilam Pazham Rasam, Thoothuvalai Keerai Rasam, Palak Dal Rasam, Kollu Rasam and Betel Leaves Rasam. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Pineapple Rasam Recipe
- 5 pineapple slices
- ¼ cup toor dal / tuvaram paruppu / split pigeon peas
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 4-5 garlic flakes - crushed
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to cook Pineapple Rasam
- Pressure cook toor dal with tomato and 1 and 1/2 cup water for 4 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash dal and add 1/2 cup water. Keep it aside. Take 3 pineapple slices and grind them in a mixer to smooth puree. Chop the other 2 slices into small bits. Keep them aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, broken red chilies and curry leaves. Add crushed garlic, mint leaves and chopped pineapple. Cook for a while. Add pepper powder, cumin powder and asofoetida. Mix everything well.
- Now, add mashed dal mixture and pineapple puree. Mix well and add 4-5 cup water and salt to taste. Stir well everything and finally add chopped coriander leaves. Let it start boiling. Remove from the heat. Serve hot with rice and potato varuval.