Vellai Kurma for Roti, Chapati and Brinji, today we will see the famous hotel style white kurma recipe which is usually served with chapati and brinji. You would also find this recipe in any south indian marriage catering menu. Vellai kurma is a tamilnadu special curry recipe which is prepared using vegetables like potato, green peas, carrot and beans.
To prepare vellai kurma, you can either use coconut milk or ground coconut paste. Prepare fresh ground masala paste from shallots, green chilies, coconut and cashew nuts. There are many versions to prepare this curry but I follow the method mentioned below. I have also shared quick vegetable kurma recipe which is prepared without using coconut. White kurma is prepared using green chilies and you need not add chili powder or any other masala powder. You can also add poppy seeds / khus khus but I have skipped the ingredient. This is a less spicy but most flavorful curry recipe.
Some of the other kurma recipes shared in my blog, Potato Carrot Stew, Pattani Salna, Multi Veg Kurma, Quick Kurma without coconut and Channa Dal Kurma. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
How to prepare White Kurma
- 7-8 shallots / sambar vengayam
- ½ cup chopped coconut bits
- 2 green chilies
- 3-4 cashew nuts
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (carrot, beans, potato, green peas)
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- asofoetida / hing -a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 4 cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- Please check the instructions below.
Vellai Kurma for Roti, Chapati and Brinji
- Prepare masala paste by grinding shallots, green chilies, cashew and chopped coconut in a mixer to smooth paste adding enough water. Keep it aside. Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, cumin and fennel seeds.
- Add chopped onions and cook for a while. Now, add chopped vegetables and ginger garlic paste. Stir well everything. Add ground paste, asofeotida and salt to taste. Mix everything and add 1 cup water. Stir well and close the lid. Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with roti, chapati or brinji rice.