Whole Urad Dal Tadka, learn hot to make urad dal tadka at home with step by step photos. A healthy and protein rich urad dal tadka recipe cooked in a traditional soapstone pot / makkal chatti to perfection. Enjoy this dal with rice or Indian flat bread variety.
I recently did a photo shoot for Ancient Cookware for their new products (soapstone vessels). This recipe is one among them. Utmost care is needed to cure kal chatti. If you have any doubts, you can leave a comment here or mail me. Urad Dal curry is very healthy and gives a unique taste since we have used soapstone. The same curry tastes different when prepared in a cooker or kadhai. That is the specialty of ancient vessels which were used long back.
The same curry can be tried with whole masoor dal or whole moong dal. Whole dal with skins are very nutritious when compared to the split dal. Split dal go through lot of processing and lose their nutrient value. Some of the other dal recipes shared in my blog, Methi Mooli Moong Dal, Masala Masoor Dal, Dhaba Style Dal, Rajasthani Dal Baati and Amritsari Dal. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Whole Urad Dal Tadka Recipe
- ½ cup whole urad dal (black gram) – soaked overnight in water
- 1 medium sized onion – chopped
- 1 small tomato – chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Asofoetida – a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 2 dry red chilies
- Please check the instructions below.
Ultham Paruppu Kuzhambu
- Soak urad dal overnight in water. Pressure cook with ½ cup water, ginger-garlic paste and little salt for 10 whistles. Remove cooker from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Open the lid and mash the cooked dal. Keep it aside.
- Take cured makkal chatti and heat on low flame for 5 minutes. Now, add 1 tbsp oil and cook chopped onions for a while. Now, add chopped tomato and mash the pulp. Switch to low medium flame and cook. Add mint and coriander leaves. Stir well.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and asofoetida. Stir well everything and add mashed dal. Mix well everything. Add salt to taste and 1 cup water or more if needed. Cook it covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for tempering, heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and broken red chilies. Add this tempering to the dal and let the dal cook for another 2 minutes. Switch off the flame and serve dal with rice or roti or naan.
If you keep cooked dal in makkal chatti for longer time, it will stay warm but will become thick. So adjust the quantity of water added and cook accordingly.