Karuppu Ulundu Pachai Payiru Adai, today I’m sharing a healthy adai dosa recipe prepared using idli rice, parboiled rice, black urad dal and whole green gram. You can either use the batter as it is or ferment it before using. The adai batter can be used the same day or for next day breakfast. Serve this healthy and delicious adai with kara chutney, coconut chutney or avial.
Whole Urad dal and moong dal are way more healthy and nutritious than split urad or split moong dal. Karuppu Ulundu can be used in place of split urad dal to prepare vada, idli / dosa and even dal. Karuppu ulundu pachai payiru adai is flavored with pepper and cumin powder. Apart from the ingredients mentioned below, you can also add few curry leaves, green chilies and shallots while grinding adai batter. To make this adai even more nutritious, add grated carrot or finely chopped keerai like drumstick keerai to the batter. There are many ways to make this adai more healthy. Make sure to use gingelly oil while cooking adai for the authentic taste. Oil can be replaced by ghee.
Karuppu Ulundu Pachai Payiru Adai
- 1 cup idli rice
- ½ cup parboiled rice
- ½ cup whole urad dal / karuppu ulundu / whole black gram
- ¼ cup whole green gram / whole moong dal / pachai payiru
- salt to taste
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder / jeera
- 1 dry red chili
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Black Urad Dal Adai
- Combine idli rice, parboiled rice, whole moong dal and urad dal in a bowl. Wash everything well and soak in enough water. Keep it overnight or for maximum 3-4 hours. Now, drain the water completely. Blend everything in a mixer grinder along with red chili, pepper and cumin powder to smooth paste adding enough water.
- The batter should not be very thin, just thick enough like dosa batter. Transfer the batter to a bowl. Add salt and asofoetida. Mix everything well. Use this batter after 2 or 3 hours to prepare adai or keep in refrigerator to prepare next day for breakfast.
- Heat a tava or non-stick frying pan. Grease with little oil / ghee. Pour a ladle full of batter and spread it evenly. Add little oil / ghee all over the edges and cook both the sides. Similarly, proceed with the remaining batter. Remove from the heat and serve hot with chutney, avial, kurma or sambar.