Pachai Sundakkai Thuvayal, healthy and delicious thogayal variety prepared using pachai sundakkai or fresh turkey berry. Serve this pachai sundakkai thuvayal with cooked rice and drizzle with little gingelly oil or melted ghee.
Sundakkai / Turkey Berry is a very healthy and highly nutritious vegetable which we must include frequently in our diet. They are loaded with the antioxidants which helps to flush out all bad radicals from our body. It should be included in our diet at-least once or twice per week. Sundakkai can be consumed either in fresh or dried form. Always crush sundakkai using mortar n pestle or ammi kallu (grinding stone) lightly before use to remove the bitterness. Then you can fry them or use directly in cooking.
I have crushed sundakkai using ammi kallu and then used for cooking. You can also cook them separately in water and then use it. Sundakkai is fried with tamarind, coconut, onion, chilies, curry leaves, garlic and dal till raw smell goes. Grind the mixture in a mixer to coarse paste.
Some of the sundakkai recipes shared in my blog, Sundakkai Vatha Kuzhambu, Nethili Karuvadu Kuzhambu, Sundakkai Cutlet and Turkey Berry Puli Kuzhambu. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Pachai Sundakkai Thuvayal
- 50 gm sundakkai / fresh turkey berry
- ¼ cup chopped coconut
- lemon sized tamarind
- 1 onion - chopped
- dry red chilies - according to your need
- 1 tsp urad dal / ultham paruppu / split black gram
- 1 tsp channa dal / kadala paruppu / split bengal gram
- 3-4 garlic flakes
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Pachai Sundakkai Chutney
- Wash the berries and remove the stem attached. Using mortar and pestle, crush the berries. Keep it aside. Heat 1 tbsp gingelly oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves, garlic and dry chilies. Saute a while.
- Add chopped onions and tamarind. Cook for a while. Now, add chopped coconut and crushed sundakkai. Mix well everything and cook till raw smell goes. Remove from the heat and allow to cook. Grind in a mixer to coarse paste without adding water. Mix salt and serve thogayal with rice.