Potato Drumstick Curry, a very delicious tamarind and coconut based potato drumstick curry recipe with step by step photos. This is a south indian style (Tamilnadu) kuzhambu recipe which can be served with idli or rice and vathal / fryums.
There are two ways to prepare potato drumstick curry. Use either pressure cooker or pan / mud pot. If you use pressure cooker, then the curry will be very thin. You can also add brinjal or avarakkai to this curry. Potato drumstick curry can also be prepared without using coconut. The curry is tangy and flavored with sambar powder and coriander powder. This is a very simple and easy to prepare curry variety.
Some of the other curry varieties shared in my blog, Masala Vadai Kuzhambu, Mochai Kuzhambu, Maanga Mezhagu Kuzhambu, Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu and Dosakaya Pulusu. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Potato Drumstick Curry
- 1 drumstick - chopped
- 2 medium sized potato - sliced
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- lemon sized tamarind ball - soaked in 2 cup water for 30 minutes
- ¼ cup coconut paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 and ½ tsp sambar powder
- asofeotida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Urulai Kizhangu Kuzhambu
- Soak tamarind in 2 cup water and keep aside for 30 minutes. Now squeeze the pulp and strain the water. Keep it aside. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and saute a while.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add ginger garlic paste and stir well. Now, add potato and drumstick pieces, stir well. Add turmeric powder, sambar powder, hing and tamarind water. Stir well everything.
- Add 1/2 cup water and close the lid. Cook for 10 minutes. Add coconut paste and salt to taste. Add another 1/2 cup water or more if needed and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve this curry with rice or idli.