Asal Koduva Kuzhambu, learn how to prepare koduva meen kuzhambu with step by step photos. Serve this delicious and aromatic meen kuzhambu / fish curry with rice. This is a tamilnadu style fish curry recipe prepared using tamarind and coconut.
Asal Koduva / Original Sea bass fish is marinated with turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt. Let it marinate for few hours and then shallow fry them till 3/4 th cooked. Do not throw off the oil used for shallow frying. I have used the left over oil to prepare curry which leaves more flavor to the dish. Fresh ground paste prepared from coconut, onion and curry leaves are added to the curry along with tamarind extract. The recipe is very simple and taste good with rice. You can replace asal koduva with any other fresh water fish variety. You can either add raw fish slices or fried fish slices to the curry. I have used coconut oil to shallow fry fish and prepare this curry. You can also give a try with groundnut oil.
Some of the other fish curry recipes shared in my blog, Salem Style Fish Curry, Viral Meen Kuzhambu, Meen Maanga Mochai Kuzhambu, Fish Kofta Curry and Ayala Meen Kuzhambu. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Asal Koduva Kuzhambu
- 250 gm asal koduva slices / original sea bass
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- salt to taste
- 1 medium sized onion or 7-8 shallots
- ½ cup chopped coconut bits
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup tamarind extract
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 small tomato - chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 and ½ tsp sambar powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp saunf / fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Meen Kuzhambu
- Marinate fish slices / cubes with turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt to taste. Keep it aside for minimum 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare coconut paste by grinding onion, curry leaves, coconut bits and ginger garlic paste to smooth paste adding enough water. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil for shallow frying. Fry fish slices till it is 3/4 th cooked. Remove fried fish from the oil and keep aside. Heat the same oil in a pan or kadhai. Add 1 tbsp oil more if needed. Temper mustard seeds and fennel seeds.
- Add chopped onions and cook for a while. Now, add tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add turmeric powder, sambar powder and stir well. Now, add tamarind extract and ground coconut paste. Mix well everything and add coriander powder, salt and 1 cup water.
- Cook it covered for 10-15 minutes on low medium flame. Now, add fenugreek seeds / vendayam and 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Mix well everything and finally, add fried fish pieces. Let it cook for another 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Serve with rice.