Dry Chilli Paneer, today we will see an indo-Chinese recipe, dry chili paneer with step by step photos. Paneer / Cottage cheese cubes are marinated and shallow fried and then sauteed with onion, capsicum, chilies and sauces. Serve this dish as a starter / appetizer with tomato chili sauce.
I have shared the dry recipe which can be served as starter. To make gravy type, you need to prepare thick sauce just like Manchurian gravy. Paneer can be substituted by mushroom, cauliflower, prawn, chicken or fish cubes. The cooking method is all same.
Soya sauce and tomato chilli sauce are two main sauces which we are using here. I have avoided maida / all purpose flour, but you can try adding it to marinate paneer or simply replace with wheat flour. Instead of deep frying, try shallow frying method to cut down calories. I have used only 4 tsp oil to shallow fry 200 gm paneer cubes. Try to use a non stick pan or cast iron pan just like I have used to avoid sticking.
Instead of adding ginger garlic paste, you can try adding 1 tsp minced garlic and 1 tsp minced ginger separately. I have mixed 1 tbsp corn flour with 1/4 cup water and added to chili paneer at the final step. You can also skip adding corn flour mixed water and make this dish completely dry.
Some of the other indo-Chinese recipes shared in my blog, Chicken Manchurian, Broccoli Manchurian, Baby Corn Manchurian, Egg Fried Rice and Gobi Manchurian. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
How to prepare Chilli Paneer
- 200 gm paneer cubes / cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- ½ tsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- few drops of water
- 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 green capsicum - chopped
- 2 green chilies - chopped
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 2-3 tsp tomato chilli sauce
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp corn flour, mixed with ¼ cup water
- Please check the instructions below.
Dry Chilli Paneer Recipe
- Combine all the ingredients mentioned under “to marinate paneer” in a mixing bowl. Add paneer cubes and mix well with the flour combination. Sprinkle few drops of water and mix everything well. Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add few tbsp of oil. Shallow fry marinated paneer till it turns olden brown. Remove from the heat and keep aside. Heat 1 or 2 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai. Add chopped onion and green chilies. Cook for a while.
- Add chopped capsicum, ginger garlic paste and cook for a while. Now, add fried paneer cubes, pepper powder, soya sauce, tomato chilli sauce and salt to taste. Mix everything well and cook for 5 minutes. Now, finally add corn flour mixed water if using and cook for another 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve hot.