Easy Channa Kurma Recipe, today we will see how to prepare channa kurma prepared using coconut with step by step photos. Channa Kurma (Indian style Chickpeas curry) can be served with roti, chapati or dosa.
Instead of cooking channa in advance, I have cooked all the ingredients together. If you do not like sambar powder, then replace it with red chili powder. The curry is very simple to prepare and can also be served with pulao or naan. I have only added channa and potato here. You can also try adding other vegetables like carrot and beans, but the taste will differ. In this curry, kabuli channa / white chickpeas taste dominates. Use soaked channa or sprouted channa to prepare kurma.
Some of the other channa based recipes shared in my blog, Murgh Chole Masala, Beetroot Channa Poriyal, Channa Ghasi and Channa Masala Pasta. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Channa Kurma for Roti, Dosa
- ½ cup kabuli channa - soaked overnight
- 1 medium sized potato - diced into cubes
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 and ½ tsp sambar powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup ground coconut paste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- 1 and ½ cup water
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Kabuli Channa Curry
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and cook for a while. Now, add chopped tomato and mash the pulp. Add ginger garlic paste and stir well.
- Now, add potato cubes, soaked and drained channa, turmeric powder, sambar powder, garam masala, coriander powder, hing, coconut paste and salt to taste. Stir well everything. Finally, add 1 and 1/2 cup water or more if needed. Mix well and close the lid. Pressure cook for 7-8 whistles and remove from the heat. Allow to cool and serve curry with roti, dosa or pulao.