Lobia Tomato Masala, today we will see how to prepare lobia tomato masala / black eyed beans curry. Lobia tomato masala can be served with roti or chapati. This is a indian style black eyed beans curry easy to prepare.
A very simple, delicious and tangy curry prepared using lobia where tomato taste dominates. If you do not like tangy taste, then reduce the quantity of tomato. Soak lobia overnight in water and cook it with all the below mentioned ingredients in a pressure cooker to save cooking time. You can either pressure cook lobia first and then cook it with other masala or simply follow the method I have mentioned below.
Lobia Tomato Masala
- ½ cup lobia / karamani - soaked overnight in water
- 1 big onion - finely chopped
- 2 bi tomatoes - chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera/ cumin seeds
- asofeotida / hing - a pinch
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds, jeera and 1 stick curry leaves. Add chopped onions and ginger garlic paste. Cook for a while.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Now, add soaked and drained lobia, turmeric powder, hing, chili powder, garam masala and coriander powder.
- Stir well everything. Add water and salt to taste. Mix well everything and close the lid. Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with roti.