Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe, learn how to make healthy one pot vegan moong dal khichdi recipe at home with step by step photos.
This is a vegan and gluten free preparation with lots of nutrients. It is easy to prepare and can be tried by even bachelors or spinsters in no time. This can be prepared in less than 20 mins as we are using pressure cooker, which saves cooking time. This protein rich meal can be tried with any combination of dal (toor dal, channa dal, moong dal, masoor dal) and vegetables (carrot, beans, peas, bottle gourd, nookal etc). I usually make this plain khichdi when there are no vegetables available at home. Serve this with onion raita, boondi raita or pickle. I like to also serve potato fry with khichdi. I have also shared the recipe for Masoor Dal Khichdi.
You can also make this khichdi using wheat rava / dalia or millets in order to avoid rice. Some of the other rice varieties shared in my blog, VangiBath, Pudina Rice, Instant Tomato Rice, Hare Chane Ki Kichadi and Ellu Sadam. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe
- 1 cup raw rice - soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp split moong dal / siru paruppu - washed
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin / jeera powder
- asofoetida / hing -a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 4 cup water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- Please check the instructions below.
How to make Siru Paruppu Sadam / Rice
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and cook for a while. Now, add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add ginger garlic paste and stir well. Now, add raw rice, moong dal, turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala, cumin powder, hing and salt to taste.
- Stir well everything and finally add 4 cup water. Close the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles on medium flame. Remove from the heat and allow the pressure to settle down. Open the lid and add 1 tsp ghee if using. Mash everything and serve hot. If you want watery khichdi, then increase the quantity of water and cook accordingly.