Mulai Keerai Kootu, learn how to make mulai keerai kootu at home. Easy and also healthy kootu recipe prepared using amaranth leaves, its tender stem and siru paruppu (split moong dal). Serve this kootu with rice.
Keerai kootu can be tried with either siru paruppu or kadala paruppu / split bengal gram. But I have always liked it with siru paruppu. You can also add grated coconut to it. This method of preparing kootu can be tried with any keerai variety like manathakkali keerai, siru keerai, arai keerai, palak keerai, etc.. Using pressure cooker makes my work bit easier, so I just dump all the ingredients in a cooker and cook till done. Mash kootu and serve.
Some of the other keerai recipes share din my blog, Palak Chole Masala, Keerai Masiyal, Manathakkali Keerai Chutney, Spring Onion Poriyal and Rajma Saagwala. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
How to prepare Mulai Keerai Kootu
- ½ bunch mulai keerai / amaranth leaves - cleaned, washed and chopped
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 2 garlic flakes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ cup split moong dal / siru paruppu
- 2 dry red chilies
- asofeotida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves and broken red chilies. Add chopped onions and garlic flakes. Cook for a while.
- Add chopped tomato and stir well. Now, add chopped keerai, moong dal, turmeric powder and hing. Mix well everything.
- Now, add ½ cup water and close the lid. Pressure cook for 5 whistles. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Open the lid and mash keerai dal mixture. Add salt to taste and mash well. Add water if needed according to your need. Serve kootu with rice.