Home Style Dal Fry Recipe, learn how to make simple home style dal fry recipe with step by step photos. The recipe is bit different from the restaurant style dal fry. Serve this delicious dal fry with roti, chapati or rice.
You need toor dal / split pigeon peas / tuvaram paruppu to prepare this curry. The same method can be applied to split moong dal / siru paruppu. Pressure cook toor dal along with tomato and garlic, mash the dal mixture and cook it along with onion, chilies, jeera and curry leaves. Dal fry is very light and also healthy. You can also use cream to make this curry thick but its better to avoid that if you doesn’t want to lose its nutritional value. You can skip garlic and use chopped garlic while tempering.
Home Style Dal Fry Recipe
- ½ cup toor dal / tuvaram paruppu
- 3 garlic flakes
- 1 tomato - chopped
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 green chilies - chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- asofoetida / hing - a pinch
- salt to taste
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Simple Dal Fry
- Pressure cook toor dal, garlic flakes, chopped tomato along with 1 and 1/4 cup water for 3 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Mash dal mixture and keep aside. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Temper mustard seeds, jeera and curry leaves. Add chopped onions and green chilies. Cook for a while. Add mashed dal, turmeric powder and hing. Stir well everything. Now, add 1 or 2 cup water and salt to taste. Let it cook for 5 minutes on low medium flame. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti or rice.