Manpaanai Kozhi Biryani, today we will see how to prepare simple chicken biryani using clay pot. The recipe is simple because it doesn’t require any grinding or you don’t need mint or coriander leaves or curd.
The clay pot cooking gives a rustic look and unique flavor to the dish. Use seeraga samba rice to prepare the Biryani. You could see the grains are separable and not mushy. Just follow these simple steps to cook a delicious biryani at home using clay pot. The same method can be tried to prepare mutton or mushroom or prawn or veg biryani. I have added whole spices like cloves and cinnamon, you can skip and add Garam Masala if needed. This is a typical Tamil style chicken biryani recipe.
Some of the other chicken biryani recipes shared in my blog, Dindigul Chicken Biriyani, Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani, Mumbai Style Chicken Biryani, Ambur Chicken Biriyani and Zafrani Chicken Biriyani. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Manpaanai Kozhi Biryani Recipe
- 400 gms chicken
- 3 cup seeraga samba rice - soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 3 big onions - finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 5 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Simple Chicken Biryani
- Take a clay pot and heat 4-5 tbsp groundnut oil. Add cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Sauté a while.
- Now add finely chopped onions and cook for a while. Add green chilies and stir well. Now add ginger garlic paste and stir well. Add chicken pieces, turmeric powder, cumin powder, pepper powder, coriander powder and little salt. Mix well everything and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add 1 cup water and cook it covered for 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and mix well. Now add 5 cup water and let it boil. Add washed and drained rice and salt to taste. Cook it covered on medium flame for 5-8 minutes. As the clay pot retains heat for longer time, the water will be absorbed quickly.
- Keep a tava over direct flame and keep the clay pot on tava. Switch to low flame and let it cook for 10 minutes. Switch off the flame and let the pot stay on tava for 15 minutes. Biryani is ready to serve with raita.