Mapillai Samba Adai, today we will see how to prepare adai recipe using the native rice – Mapillai Samba. This rice variety is native to Tamilnadu. You could find this in organic shops. I have tried Mapillai Samba rice to prepare idli, dosa and adai. Recently I bought a packet of Mapillai Samba Aval which I’m gonna try soon.
Mapillai Samba rice is a red rice variety which has got many nutritional benefits. It helps to increase hemoglobin, immunity and gives strength. In olden days, mother in laws would cook this rice to serve their bridegroom that’s why the name mapillai. I’m not sure if it is followed even now.
To prepare adai, idli or dosa, soak the rice overnight in water. You can soak lentils 3 hours before grinding. I usually let the adai batter ferment instead of making quick adai. Some of the other dosa varieties shared in my blog, Prawn Masala Dosa, Barley Dosa and Keerai Dosa. If you try any of my recipes, then do share your feedback with us.
Mapillai Samba Adai
- 2 cup Mapillai Samba rice
- 2 cup parboiled rice
- 1 cup urad dal / ultham paruppu
- 1 cup pachai payiru / whole Moong dal
- 1 cup toor dal / tovaram paruppu
- ½ cup Channa Dal / Kadalai paruppu
- ½ cup moth beans / thatta payiru
- Asofoetida- a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds powder - according to your need
- 3-4 sticks curry leaves
- 2 dry red chilies
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Samba Arisi Adai
- Soak Mapillai Samba Rice overnight in water along with parboiled rice. In another bowl, combine all other lentils and soak overnight in water.
- Before grinding, drain the water completely. Firstly grind the rice to smooth paste and shift to a container. Now, grind all the lentils together along with curry leaves and dry chilies to smooth batter. Combine rice and lentils batter. Now add asofoetida, jeera powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well everything and let it ferment. To prepare adai, heat a tava and grease with oil. Take a ladleful of batter and spread nicely over tawa in circular motion. Add few tsp of oil all over the sides and cook for few seconds. Serve adai with coconut chutney or avial.