Peerkanga Kadalai Paruppu Kootu, learn how to make ridge gourd and channa dal kootu at home. We usually don’t make Channa Dal kootu often. But once a while, when we cook kootu with Channa Dal, we serve with roti. It goes very well with roti and Moong dal kootu with rice.
I have not added coconut but it is optional. You can add to get creamy texture. Lauki / sorakkai, podalanga / snake gourd or cabbage can be also used to try this curry. Some of the other kootu recipes shared in my blog, Athikai Kootu, Thoothuvalai Keerai Kootu, Zucchini Kootu, Chow Chow Kootu & Lauki Kootu. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback.
Peerkanga Kadalai Paruppu Kootu
- 2 peerkanga - chopped
- ¼ cup Channa Dal / kadalai Paruppu
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- Asofoetida - a pinch
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Curry leaves - 1 stick
- 1 tsp jeera
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Please check the instructions below.
How to make Peerkanga Kootu
- Pressure cook Channa Dal for 4-5 whistles with enough water. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Drain the water and reserve for later use.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a cooker. Temper mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry chili and cumin seeds. Add chopped onion and ginger garlic paste. Sauté a while.
- Add tomatoes and mash the pulp. Now add chopped ridge gourd, asofoetida, turmeric powder, cooked dal and salt to taste. Combine well everything and add reserved water. Add more water if needed and cook for 3-4 whistles. Remove from the heat and serve warm with roti.