Manathakkali Kai Kuzhambu, today we will see how to prepare fresh manathakkali kuzhambu at home. Manathakkali Kai is usually sun dried and made as vathal. This vathal is used to make vatha kuzhambu. When we use manathakkali keerai to cook, the flowers and the fruit is also used along with the leaves to prepare curry or kootu.
On my recent visit to local veggies market, I found this person selling manathakkali Kai alone for 10 rupees. One paddi for 10 rupees. I immediately bought it and made this yummy curry. You can use manathakkali in sambar, Kara Kuzhambu or kootu just like any regular vegetables.
Other kuzhambu recipes shared in the blog, Podalanga KaraKuzhambu, Mudakathan Keerai Kara Kuzhambu, Pachai Sundakkai Puli Kuzhambu, Kathirikkai Puli Kuzhambu and Avarakkai Vendaya Kuzhambu. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us. Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe.
Manathakkali Kai Kuzhambu
- 1 cup fresh manathakkali
- ¼ cup chopped coconut bits
- 3 garlic flakes
- 1 and ½ tsp sambar powder
- Asofoetida- a pinch
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup tamarind extract
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 stick curry leaves
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Manathakkali Kuzhambu
- Take manathakkali and wash well. Grind coconut and garlic to smooth paste adding little water. Heat 4 tbsp gingelly oil in a clay pot. Temper mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add chopped onions and curry leaves. Stir a while. Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Now add manathakkali and stir well.
- Add sambar powder, coriander powder and asofoetida. Mix everything and 1 cup tamarind extract. Now mix everything and add 1 or 2 cup water. Cook it covered for 5 minutes. Add coconut paste and salt to taste. Now add more water if needed and cook covered for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Recipe Video :