Meen Maanga Kuzhambu, today we will see how to prepare fish and raw mango curry. I have already shared one version of Sankara Meen Kuzhambu where only tamarind is used. In this recipe, I have used Sankara fish / red snapper to prepare curry. Raw fish is cooked together with raw mango in tamarind sauce and flavoured with sambar powder and coriander powder.
Serve the curry with idli or rice. You can either add raw marinated fish or shallow fried fish to the curry. If you are adding fried fish then add 5 minutes before switching off the stove. You can also add coconut paste to the curry but this one is very simple and easy curry which doesn’t require any grinding. Try to cook the curry in clay pot or Manpaanai for the rustic village style taste. I have added groundnut oil whereas coconut oil can also be used.
Some of the fish curry recipes shared in my blog are Salem style Fish Curry, Ayala Fish Curry, Fish Curry with Mustard & Coconut, Fish & Chickpeas Masala. You can also refer my post on 40+ Indian Style Fish Recipes. Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe.
Meen Maanga Kuzhambu
- To marinate fish :
- 6 small Sankara fish / red snapper
- 2 tsp sambar powder
- For curry :
- 3 onions - finely chopped
- 2 tomato- chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup tamarind extract
- 2 slices of raw mango
- 3 tsp sambar powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 stick curry leaves
- 4 tbsp groundnut oil
- Please check the instructions below.
How to cook easy fish curry
- Marinate fish with sambar powder and salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes. Heat oil in a clay pot. Temper mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and sauté a while. Now add ginger garlic paste and stir. Add tomato and mash the pulp. Now add sambar powder, coriander powder and little water.
- Mix all and let it cook for a minute. Add tamarind extract and 2 cup water. Mix all and let it cook covered for 10 minutes. Add fish, mango spices and salt to taste. Close the lid and cook for another 5-8 minutes. Switch off the flame. Serve with idli or rice.
Recipe Video :