Sorakkai Thattai Payiru Kuzhambu, today we will see how to prepare lauki and Moth Beans Curry in Tamilnadu style by following the simple steps.
Moth Beans are soaked overnight and cooked in a pressure cooker till soft. Cooked beans and chopped lauki are cooked together in a freshly prepared masala based curry ( using ammikallu) in a mud pot. You can just imagine the rustic flavour of the dish because of the usage of ammikallu and clay pot. I learnt this recipe from my mother in law.
She grinds roasted moth beans using ammikallu and cooks naatu sorakkai in masala.. That combination will be totally different and amazing. I have used the regular Sorakkai which we get in the market. Crushing moth beans in a mixie won’t do justice to the curry and the ammikallu I own is very small size. So I usually cook the beans in a pressure cooker and follow the below mentioned method.
Please do check our YouTube channel for the recipe videos and subscribe us if you like the recipe. Some of the village style non veg recipes shared in my blog, Uppu Kozhi Varuval, Karuvepillai Kozhi Varuval, Naatu Kozhi Kuzhambu / Country Chicken Curry – with Coconut, Kongu Style Kozhi Kuzhambu & Kongu Style Aatu Kari Kuzhambu / Mutton Curry – Kongunadu Special. If you try any of my recipes, do share your feedback with us.
Sorakki Thattai Payiru Kuzhambu
- To grind :
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 tomato - chopped
- Small marble sized tamarind ball
- Few curry leaves
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- For curry :
- 1 cup Matki / moth beans
- 1 cup chopped lauki / sorakkai/ bottle gourd
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Please check the instructions below.
How to prepare Lauki Matki Curry
- Soak Moth Beans overnight in enough water. Pressure cook moth beans with little water for 6-7 whistles. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Temper mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add chopped onion, tomato, tamarind , dry chili and curry leaves. Now add ginger garlic paste and coriander powder. Cook for few minutes and switch off the flame.
- Grind the masala with coconut adding little water to smooth paste. Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pot. Temper mustard seeds and add chopped lauki. Stir well.
- Add turmeric powder, hing, cooked beans, masala, salt and 2 cup water. Mix all and cook covered for 15 minutes. Serve curry with rice.
Recipe Video :